S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

OT: V1 Concealed display

Old 05-22-2000, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: V1 Concealed display

For all the V1 users out there,

My only minor complaint I have about the V1 is with the visibility of the concealed display at night. To be more specific, on my older BEL detectors, I could always tell what radar band was being picked up because the actual band symbol was printed over the LED so you could see the "X,K or KA" symbols when the LED actually lit up. The V1's band symbol are to the left of the LED and don't light up. Furthermore, BEL used different colors per band which was nice.

I've found that while driving at night with my V1 concealed diplay fastened on my dashboard, it's difficult to decipher exactly which radar band is being picked up because not enough light is present to read the "X,K,KA" symbols on the concealed display. Plus, all the bands are identified via a red LED. I guess I'm not use to how close the LED's are together on the concealed display to be able to quickly tell which band it is.

Has anyone figured out a way to shine more light on the concealed display or have their concealed display set up in a way where it catches more light. Thanks in advance for the help!

Shane
Old 05-22-2000, 12:52 PM

Default Re: OT: V1 Concealed display

How long have you had your V1?
I had the same complaint for the first few weeks, now I can tell the band at a glance just by the relationship of the band indicators to the directional indicators.

You could also go to any good electronics outlet and pick up some small multicolored LEDs and replace the ones in the concealed display unit. If you aren't comfortable ripping apart the remote display, you could buy a jumbo RED led and position it in front of the unit, it should provide enough light.
Old 05-22-2000, 01:20 PM

Default Re: OT: V1 Concealed display

I've had it for a month or two now.
You offer some viable solutions. However, I'm not comfortable ripping the unit apart.
I'm not sure about the jumbo red LED either.
I guess I'll just have to tell by the relationship between the band indicators and the directional indicators. Just as I thought!
Thanks!
Old 05-22-2000, 01:41 PM

Default Their prior faceplate didn't have this problem - one LED: Off=X, On=K, Blink=Ka

I have the slightly older version of the faceplate/concealed display which works as above, and I think that makes it simpler to identify the bands (once you know the translation), and of course it doesn't have a problem at night. Not sure about compatibility, but maybe you can use this version of concealed display with your newer detector. Probably not but you'd have to ask V1.

Also, I don't know how long you've had the detector, but after awhile I found I didn't need the visual display to identify the band - the sound for each band is fairly easy to distinguish unless I have the stereo volume turned way up.<p>Darin
01 Black/Onyx on order
Old 05-22-2000, 02:10 PM

Default YAI (Yet Another Idea)

I would replace the LEDs like Darin suggested but here is something else that _may_ work. Try to mask of part of the LED with black electricians tape. I'm not sure how large the illuminated area is but if you could make one square, the other triangular and leave the other round that may be enough to distinguish them. I don't have the unit (yet) so I'm not sure if this is viable. Maybe other masking options?

Sander