S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

picking up 00 S4 slvr/blk, need some advise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picking up 00 S4 slvr/blk, need some advise!!!

Hello everyone,

i am purchasing a 2000 S4 with 45K miles tomorrow in Phily. This is my first Audi. My last car was M coupe and Schnitzer 540/6spd. Want to mod the S4 as soon as i get it. some questions

1. Who makes the best all around ECU chip?
2. best exhaust? can it be custom made? I did it in my M coupe (but it wasn't a twin turbo)
3. I have always put H&R on my cars. I am assuming same goes for Audis
4. good intake? or drop-in ITG or K&N just as good? Intakes didn't do much in my BMWs, actually made it worse i think
5. i am not used to turbos. replacing down pipes make huge diff? and who makes'em?
6. any known problems with these engines at this mileage?
7. any performance mods recommendations are welcomed

Sorry for the long list guys and thanks in advance :&gt

Jon
Old 10-18-2002, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: picking up 00 S4 slvr/blk, need some advise!!!

you may not get to many answers.. but in any case search as all of these comments have been answered before

1.) they are all good MTM, Abt,GIAC, APR are the popular ones..

2.) you can get a custom exhaust made, there are a lot of good ones depending on how loud you want to go and how much you want to spend

3.) H&R makes good products but there are also other good options such as STaSIS, Eibach, Intrax

4.)drop-in filters have not been found to do much for the s4 and the oil from the filters can mess up the MAF, however there are people testing custom setups that work

5.) DP's makes a difference, faster spool up, etc. AWE,JP engineering, GHL, Milltek, APR, EVOMS, MTM and others make them but you can also hollow out the pre-cats on the stock ones

6.) known problems Turbos, TBB, F-pipe, BPV's

7.) upgrade TBB, F-pipe, and BPV's, then do mods
Old 10-18-2002, 05:13 PM

You won't get much agreement here, use the search and make your own conclusions
Old 10-18-2002, 05:18 PM

Default In short...

use the search function on the forum, everyone has an opinion.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:36 PM

oh your going to have a GOOD time here---good luck with the new car!
Old 10-18-2002, 06:03 PM

Default Im gonna try and answer all your questions...

Some people maynot agree with me. But here it goes.

1. As for a chip, the word on the street is that the GIAC X gives you the most power but overall the ABT is suppose to be the best. Or even MTM.

2.Best exhaust. Well Im sure people have their favorites and I dont know if theres a best but I have a Borla and its not bad. But if I had the money I would go with the MTM exhaust. To me thats a great exhaust. Great sound, performance and quality.

3.H&Rs arent a bad choice but if you have the cash I would say get the Stasis Coilovers.

4. Intake I would say just keep the stock. If you want to entertain yourself than get the AWE S-FLO. I dont know if anyone has any proof that changing the intake does anything.

5. Replacing the DP makes a difference. Some people claim a 15-20 HP increase with new DPs. A few people make DPs. AWE, MTM, MILTEK and APR. Im sure there are others.

6.It matters if the previous owner took car of it. If he let the car cool down before turning it off, if he let the engine warm up. But dont worry these engines are built like a rock.

7. I would say get a chip before anything. Its the biggest bang for the buck and the car will feel like a whole new car. Drive around with it stock for a little til you get used to it so you can fully enjoy the new chip. Trust me it will be worth it. Also check the F-HOSE in the engine. 2000 S4s have an F-Hose which gave people problems. You might want to replace that with a stronger aftermarket one.

Well thats it hoped it help. This all based on some experience and staying up late reading threads on this board. You will enjoy this place. You can learn a lot. I did. I think.

Peace.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default May I ask how much was this car? <advise inside>

I was just curious on the market value of our cars with that mileage.
I would have to suggest going to AWE to get all your performance needs.
a GIAC chip, their twin exhaust, and H&amp;R coilovers. Don't forget a tanoga short shifter and maybe a rear sway bar.
Not the I have bought anything from AWE, but since you're in Philly, this place will be like you WalMart. One stop shopping.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Backing up "advice" given ...

VeryfastS4 makes a good point. You can buy via internet/UPS and if (and only if) things don't work out, your avenues to address the problem are limited. With AWE, they are in your backyard, and you can see them/speak to them in person. Also, make use of the local network (EPaqc) for info and recommendations.

I'm not quite as new (bought in July), but both this forum and the local network have proven to be a great source of info for me. You will never get THE answer though, as opinions run strongly. Make good use of the search function (since many questions seem to get asked and re-asked - which oil/chip/exhaust/suspension?). The "right" answer you will get seems to depend primarily on who is on the forum at the time you ask the question. Read for a while and you will figure out who makes most sense to you.

My advice from tonight - when running 80 on a back road with a little fog in 4th and a deer shows up in your headlights - aim for the back end (deer-iere????). It froze and I scooted by. Is that MaD FRoZen SKiLz?

Hope to see you around.

RUNNING BONE STOCK FOR NOW. AND YES, IT'S SILVER.
(lame a$$ non-sig)
Old 10-18-2002, 10:26 PM

IF YOU HAVE THE CASH...MTM IS MY MAN! hoppenmotorsport.com
Old 10-19-2002, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default O.CT 0wNz j00! Just ask FLY YELLOW. Seriously though (good info inside)...

&gt;&gt; 1. Who makes the best all around ECU chip?

There are a number of tuners but Abt, MTM, GIAC and APR seem to be the most popular. Between those, I'd go with Abt.

&gt;&gt; 2. best exhaust? can it be custom made? I did
&gt;&gt; it in my M coupe (but it wasn't a twin turbo)

You could have one custom made, but there are a number of good ones. For the money, I got the Neuspeed G2 from New Dimensions. It was $575 delivered when I bought it, I think it's a little more now. I highly recommend Jason at New Dimensions though.

&gt;&gt; 3. I have always put H&amp;R on my cars. I am
&gt;&gt; assuming same goes for Audis

The H&amp;R's are good coil-overs. They make a street set and a firmer set they call the Ultra. People seem to like them. KW is also very good. Most people will probably say that Stasis is the best, but their coil-overs are expensive.

&gt;&gt; 4. good intake? or drop-in ITG or K&amp;N just as
&gt;&gt; good? Intakes didn't do much in my BMWs,
&gt;&gt; actually made it worse i think

Audi did a good job on the intake and there doesn't seem to be much (or any) gain from the bolt on stuff. There are a few mods that seem to work but they either require cutting or fabrication. Search for "Darintake" or look in Blitzkrieg's picture poster for some ideas.

&gt;&gt; 5. i am not used to turbos. replacing down
&gt;&gt; pipes make huge diff? and who makes'em?

Downpipes make a difference. AWE makes a nice set. APR, MTM, Miltek, JP Engineering, Autospeed (I would stay away from these guys from what I've heard and read) also make them. Then there are also the Audi RS4 OEM pipes, but they are $$$.

&gt;&gt; 6. any known problems with these engines at
&gt;&gt; this mileage?

With a 2000 model, I would strongly suggest you check out the Throttle Body Boot and F-hose. Search on "TBB" and "F-hose" for lots of information. Also, you should be running synthetic oil (I like Mobil 1 0W-40).

&gt;&gt; 7. any performance mods recommendations are
&gt;&gt; welcomed.

Chip, downpipes and exhaust will put you at about 330 HP and 390 lb-ft of Torque. I'd also recommend a Short Shifter (Tanoga makes a nice one) and and AWE DTS (check out www.awe-tuning.com). Also, Neuspeed makes an inexpensive rear sway bar that helps to reduce the understeer inherent in these car.

Have fun...

Quick Reply: picking up 00 S4 slvr/blk, need some advise!!!