S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Pilot Alpins vs. WinterSport M3s? How much dry handling will I gain going from the former to the

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pilot Alpins vs. WinterSport M3s? How much dry handling will I gain going from the former to the

latter? How much snow traction will I lose (if any)?

I have Alpins with 85% tread now that I'm thinking of unloading or giving to my friend, but I'm not going to do it unless the WinterSport M3s will give me substantially better handling.

TIA.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:21 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i wouldnt get the m3's. m3's are the enemy.

:-P
Old 01-18-2005, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ehh... I'm talking about the tires!
Old 01-18-2005, 05:06 AM
Elder Member

Default lol

i know. it just has m3 in the name, so id stear clear. lol. im halfway kidding. i dont know anything about winter tires. i run bfg T/A kdw's all year long.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you considered Nokian WR's? Paging Mr. Price...

Their dry handling is amazing as well as snow capabilities. Not that great on ice though...

Where's jprice? He'll certainly comment on this...
Old 01-18-2005, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Sponsor

Default I have the wintersport M2 and I'm quite pleased with their performance...

both in the snow and in the wet/dry. And the M3 is supposedly superior to the M2, so that's what I'd recommend.

-Dave Pramanik
Old 01-18-2005, 05:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default M3's wet traction suffers as they wear (scary)

I've been using the M3's for a number of winters now and enjoy them when they are NEW. Handling is great (I live in the Rockies and enjoy winding twisties every day .. twice a day), but the shoulders wear heavily. I also have begun to doubt their inherent balance ... I have been hurrying the changeover back to my summers each year to solve the vibration that develops as the M3's wear - repeated balancing does not remedy this. Most recently, I've noted a bad trend when the road is slightly wet (we're going through a bit of a thaw here) or I run through a puddle ... cornering takes on a new definition of fear as the back end breaks out tooooo easily. My mileage is high and I go through a set of winters every season, no matter what the brand. I've sworn by the M3's in the past, but am now back to evaluating other options. Never used Alpin's so I have no comparitive info. My latest venture is the Nokian RSi (M3's out of stock at Tirerack, BTW).
Old 01-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Second. My M2s have been phenomenal on dry pavement in cold temps.

Snow/ice performance is great as well.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have had only the Pilot Alpins, but my understanding (and I may be wrong) is that they are one of

the best snow tires for dry handling (as long as it is cold outside, cause they get greasy and squirmy when its warm for sure), but they do not have maximum snow and ice like some of the others.

This is why I went with them. You probably already know all of this, so I'm not really adding anything to the party. But if there is a better dry handling winter tire, then I am interested because Cincinnati only gets about 5-7 days of true snow covered streets; most of the time its 1/2 inch of dry salt or wet roads. I have been happy with Alpins, but I am dumping them with half the tread left as I always want to have at least that much tread.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LOL.. I echo Quad's statements. :-p (more on M3 vs Pilot Alpine)

WRs are great on dry and snow, but M3s will not give you much if any dry handling over the Pilot Alpines. The M3 WILL probably be better in the snow than the pilot alpines however.

You're probably better off just keeling the Pilot Alpines and slowing down a little bit in the corners on the dry :-p

If you need to change and want more dry handling, Nokian WR.

Quick Reply: Pilot Alpins vs. WinterSport M3s? How much dry handling will I gain going from the former to the