S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

planned on S4, now maybe the IS300

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2000, 02:23 PM
Bobby D

Default planned on S4, now maybe the IS300

Obviously the S4 is a better performance car, but
lexus does make more reliable cars with lower maintenance.
Old 01-20-2000, 02:31 PM
Boss Hogg

Default My brother is considering the IS300. It is a great car to modify.

I can give you some links on the car from Japan. The engine bay can actually easily handle the 4.0-4.3 liter V8 of the GS/SC/LS line. The most popular modification is turbocharging the V6 though. The only drawback to the car (and what is holding back my brother from getting the U.S. version) is that the 5 or 6 speed manual transmission may not come over until 1 year after the car is introduced into the U.S. A very nice car though.
Old 01-20-2000, 02:48 PM
dbex

Default A couple questions......

1. Any idea when will it be available in the US?

2. Any hints as to the projected price?

Looking to spend that bonus.....Right now there are no competitors to the S4 in my mind, but the IS300 has potential.... (I'd be getting the S4 tip anyway, so the lack of manual in the Lexus would not be a drawback to me.)

Thanks for any clues,
Dave
Old 01-20-2000, 03:00 PM
Boss Hogg

Default IS300 should be available in 2-3 months. Projected price should be

about $30,000-34,000 range. I agree that the S4 is a much better car though!
Old 01-20-2000, 03:06 PM
Jim L.

Default Saw an IS300 at the LA Auto Show

As a former Lexus owner, I understand the appeal. I was also rather smitten with the IS300 when I saw the early press releases. I don't think there's any comparison to the S4, however. It's more comparable to an A4 2.8 or BMW 328i, except with Lexus reliability.

Frankly, I wasn't that impressed with it when I saw it in person. It looks rather unremarkable and the stock powerplant is nothing special.
Old 01-20-2000, 03:15 PM
Boss Hogg

Default The IS300 is aimed for the 3 series customer not the S4 customer.

That being said, the IS300 is a great platform for modifications.
Old 01-20-2000, 03:15 PM
KJK

Auto only, end of discussion (nt)
Old 01-20-2000, 03:20 PM
Boss Hogg

Default Remember, it should be coming in a manual as well. The question is how long from

now! Also, although I agree that the fact that it is an auto, is a huge strike against it. Some people don't seem to mind, and hey whatever makes you happy. I almost purchased the GS400, and the IS 300 auto has a similar setup, which I guess as far as auto's go is not bad either.
Old 01-20-2000, 03:29 PM
Scott

Default S4 is a much better car than the IS300 to modify in almost any respect...

I have given this some thought and concluded that the S4 is the BEST. here is why.

By the time you match the performance of the S4 with the Is300 you have spent enough to buy an S4. Yes, some say it is possible to cram a GS400 engine inside but the price will not be worth it, it will probably cost $12,000 for the engine if you can find one. If you put an Sc in the IS300($7500+) you will get 310-320hp. That is pretty much all you can without doing major internal engine mods. The S4 engine is forced induction ready so its engine is a lot stronger the IS300. One chip for the S4 you get 310hp and 380 torque at 2000rpm! Replace the turbo, intercooler and you will reach 400hp.

Nothing beats quattro, in performance aspects a 4WD car aways has an advantage because the launchs are incredible.

Lastly, Lexus might offer a 5 speed manual in a year or so but no signs of a 6-speed and here you have the S4 that has one now. the Lexus will cost in the low 30,000 range so it is cheaper. but in the long run the S4 is a far better choice.

Just my opinion

Scott

ps: People are hitting mid to high 13 sec 1/4 miles already with only a chip and exhast. I highly doubt that the is300 can reach that without major changes
Old 01-20-2000, 04:00 PM
Boss Hogg

Default Hold on a second. This should be clear, I think the S4 is a better car, and a better

choice. However, your knowledge about the modification potential of the IS300 is correct on some points, but incorrect on others. For example, puting on a turbo charging system for the IS (or the Altezza, as it is known in Japan) is not a difficult process for the car. Expensive? Yes, these mods should be in the $6,000-9,000 dollar range. However, from here the performance of the car is quite remarkable. In Japan, I have seen 11-12 second quarter mile Toyota Altezza's. Also, the final cost would more than likely be in the low $15,000+ range. (I am not sure what the V8 modification would cost in the U.S. though) Not cheap but not the high figure you quoted. In Japan, the car has become only second in appeal and popularity to the mighty Nissan Skyline GTR. Do you get more for your money in the S4? Absolutely! The original question which started these postings came from someone who doesn't seem to care much about increasing performance however.

Quick Reply: planned on S4, now maybe the IS300