S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Police and insurance consequences with no front plate in states that require it

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2000, 12:37 PM
Concerned

Default Police and insurance consequences with no front plate in states that require it

I've been considering leaving off my front plate for aesthetic reasons despite the fact that is
illegal (makes it sound so dirty) in my state.

Upon conversations with my dealer (really good guys at Clair Audi) a few issues have
surfaced. They say that there are not only police ramifications if there is no front plate, there
are insurance consequences if no front plate exists i.e., you are not covered without the
front plate. I did not know that such a clause exists in Mass. insurance policies (I come from
a state with no such front plate requirement). The police citations are manageable for
aesthetic purposes, but not having insurance coverage is entirely a different and more
serious issue - aesthetics may not be worth it. Any thoughts from the audience - those who
are very familiar with Mass. insurance fine print?
Old 01-17-2000, 12:40 PM
matthewk

never heard of this??
Old 01-17-2000, 12:45 PM
DJL

Default Re: Police and insurance consequences with no front plate in states that require it

Have not heard of the insurance clause. It will police cause for stopping you when they otherwise wouldn't. Or for instance speeding in traffic. You have not plate so easy to id and all the more reason in their view to choose you....etc. Kind of like driving around with brake lights out (not from a saftey perspective). Your "stealthy" S4 becomes quite visible in states requiring plate. I begrudgingly have put one on both an M3 and S4 for this reason alone.
Old 01-17-2000, 01:13 PM
George

Default Re: Police and insurance consequences with no front plate in states that require it

You're right, the guys at Clair are great, at least so far. I still haven't actually had my S4 show up yet, but hopefully this time next month I'll have it.

That seems really bizarre to me, however. I can't imagine why there'd be an insurance issue involved with it. Have you tried talking to your insurance agent about it?

I was planning on asking them to leave the mounting bracket off my car too, so I could figure out a better way to mount it beyond drilling holes in the bumper.

Hell, it'd be nice to not have it there so the cops don't have anything to aim laser guns at. Of course that's why they want it there!
Old 01-17-2000, 01:45 PM
lionsfan54

lasers work just as well off of headlights
Old 01-17-2000, 01:47 PM
George

Not if you have them turned on... it confuses the laser gun
Old 01-17-2000, 01:53 PM
Boss Hogg

Default My dealer (no not Cleotus) has informed me that they know of no insurance clause in Massachusetts.

The only reason they put on the bracket is because the state requires it for the state inspection sticker. For a little background, I have no front license plate bracket, and have not had one on the last 2 cars I owned. I will try to contact my insurance agent about this, but upon reviewing my plan, I see nothing that says this in the "fine print."
Old 01-17-2000, 01:54 PM
Boss Hogg

Default Incorrect, high intensity headlights will actually cause enough interference so the laser

will no be able to lock onto the headlights.
Old 01-17-2000, 02:02 PM
Tickets!

Your "buddies" at Clair told me the same thing-then refused to pay my ticket and towing charges after I was pulled over for this-check your Mass. laws- I did! If you have red plates-you must have oth plates attached or you can be ticketed and in some instances (mine, for example), towed. PUT IT ON! Trying to do you a favor...
P.S.
Be careful with Clair...kind of shifty.
Old 01-17-2000, 02:33 PM
vb

Re: lasers work just as well off of headlights....when they are off !

Quick Reply: Police and insurance consequences with no front plate in states that require it