S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Poll - Best ways to preserve K03s - No Boost Leaks, Keep off Boost Warm Up & Cool Down, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll - Best ways to preserve K03s - No Boost Leaks, Keep off Boost Warm Up & Cool Down, etc...

I've recently pulled the trigger on an ABT(AMS) chip. The throttle response is better and there is better fuel economy with highway driving. I'm not on the boost all the time or streetlight racing, but the rare & occasional drive on back-country roads makes the extra power something that I appreciate.

While STFA can yield a wide range of opinions from : "YOUR K03s are DOOMED!" to "I've put 170K on my GIAC-X K03s", I believe that more than voodoo is involved in squeezing high-mileage out of the K03s.

I'd like to know what other preventive measures make sense on a limited budget.

I'm driving a 2001.5 with the changes that brings.

I doubt that I will have the $$ to go stage III anytime soon. If the K03s bite the dust, I'll likely have to sell my ride...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Other STFA results : Turbo Timer, Best Oil Money & Opinion Can buy
Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

don't drive in boost.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Default "don't floor it to redline" is a little less conservative.

K03s are pushed hardest when you run full boost to redline.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Save your money for K04s, seems to be the only real option here

If you're getting into the used B5 S4 game that's something you have to be prepared for. That, and the transmission.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mostly common sense stuff - use 502 approved oils only, don't get into high boost when cold or

within a few mintues of shutdown, use OEM quality oil filter, maintain cooling system, and obviously avoid boost leaks. Many early turbos failed due to chipping/abuse on dino oil. The MY '01.5 upgrades helped a lot. Yeah chipping will shorten the life of the turbos, but you can still make them last a long time if they are not already damaged.

they are pretty robust devices, but abuse them and you pay the price. Using 710N BPV's also helps.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

cryogenic freezing until we figure out how to make them last forever
Old 07-29-2008, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ^^^what he said

lay off boost when cold or when about to shut down (highway rest stops are a good example of a hot shut down)

keep your oil changes in check.

make sure the intake plumbing is all sealed tight.

Make sure your bypass valves are in working order. It is worth checking them every 3-6 months. While you are there, check the TBB, the f-hose, and any other rubber components in that area for wear and tear.

Have a boost gauge installed to monitor how the turbos behave. Any defects to the intake plumbing and or wastegates will become apparent when watching how the boost gauge behaves under throttle.

Be smooth on the throttle.

All i can think of.

(MTM Stg 1 chipped for 115k miles)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Listen to this advice

Also, replace the TBB with a reinforced unit (I've had Samco for 60k miles with no problem. Be sure to get good clamps that don't cut into it. Always wait until the oil is at least 1 click past the first mark, change oil and send it in to blackstone labs to get analyzed. they will tell you how long you can go between changes. Only use synthetic oil (I like German castrol syntec 0w30) but Mobil 1 is alright too. Don't shut off your car after it's been driven hard until it has a chance to cool down. look for and inspect any leaks/problems asap. I have almost 130k miles on stock K03s and an AMS/ABT chip (chipped for ~70k miles)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, check all small vaccuum hoses - they deteriorate and split from heat/age. Cheap/easy fix

that could save you big headaches.

Quick Reply: Poll - Best ways to preserve K03s - No Boost Leaks, Keep off Boost Warm Up & Cool Down, etc...