S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Problem with driver's window 'guides'. Need help. Tried the search forum to no avail....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with driver's window 'guides'. Need help. Tried the search forum to no avail....

Main Problem:
A few months ago, the driver's window on my S4 stopped about 1/2 way up then went down. I tried again and it fought it's way up. After some trial and error, I realized the window was somewhat loose. The corner by the B-pillar would tilt back and bind. If it did make it up the window wouldn't seat correctly causing wind noise. If I put a little upward pressure on back part of the window it went up with no problem and seated properly. The motor is fine. It's just not being guided properly.

Next Problem:
Easy, I'll just take off the door panel and tighten up whatever is loose. Door panel off...no problem. I can see where the window sits in rubber 'U'-shaped cradles, but they were tight. It appears the window has guides on the sides and perhaps one is broken or loose. However there's plastic 'sheeting' blocking access to most of the window inside the door.

1. Anybody had this problem and fixed it, replaced the guides or whatever?
2. How do I get around this sheeting to be able to replace them?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Rest In Peace

it'sa complete pita, sold as an assembly and you need some special rivets iirc . . .
Old 02-09-2007, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you are talking about the little green channel guides, then you're SOL and have to replace the

whole track and cable assembly. Also, IIRC it's rivited in.

I broke one of the green clips when replacing the window after someone broke in.

Luckily I was able to glue it back (after trying differnt glues) and it finally held. So I was OK.

If I had to replace the whole thing, it would have been a PITA.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default grrr, I hate hearing that. Seems simple if I could just get access w/o tearing those 'rivets.'

The plastic sheeting seems to keep the lock cable and wires away from the window's movement. The sheeting is attached to the door tube frame with those plastic rivets. There's also some foam insulation attached with some metal rivets too. I considered removing the whole frame taking the insulation and sheeting as one, but was concerned about screwing up some alignment. I'll take the panel off again tomorrow with that path in mind. That frame is bolted with some strange bolts...looks like 12pt hex driver. Might have to rig someting up.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Probably, but I can even see them to find the problem.

Perhaps I could glue it or something, but can't tell without getting to it. How did you get to it? Did you remove that whole tube frame from the door body?
AudiWorld Super User

Default You have to get the frame out, then you can get to those parts. But if anything is broken on that

assembly the whole unit needs to be replaced (unless you're good at fabricating parts).
Rest In Peace

Default btw . . . cyanoacrylate and sodium bicarbonate FTMFW . . .

super glue and baking soda is pretty kewl stuff . . .
Old 02-09-2007, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is that what Gorilla glue is? That's what I finally used.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes. Make sure you mark the position of the four bolts on the door ends. Then put it back the same

way. The door will be aligned correctly.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well I have project for tomorrow it seems.

Quick Reply: Problem with driver's window 'guides'. Need help. Tried the search forum to no avail....