S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Problem getting into first gear from dead stop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem getting into first gear from dead stop.

Hi everybody,

So I have this problem getting into first gear. Basically if I try the following combo:

1. clutch in,
2. put gear in neutral,
3. clutch out,
4. clutch back in,
5. shift into first -- when I do this, the shifter hits a block; something is definitely blocking out first gear.

If I wait > 5 seconds and keep fiddling with it, I can get it to go into 1st. But it's annoying as hell.

This also happens when I'm driving normally and I try to shift into 1st even without first being in neutral; it's just that being in neutral with the clutch out is a guaranteed way to reproduce the problem.

Normally, first gear is blocked out in this way when the car is rolling to stop me from downshifting into 1st. It's the same blocked feeling when the problem occurs. It's like the block doesn't lift.

Other info:
- Clutch was replaced last Oct with a new stock S4 clutch (warranted for 1 year).
- The problem began to occur 1 day after I ran the car hard in 1st at a driving course (but to my knowledge, never unduly abused the clutch or gearbox).
- Had transmission fluids replaced last Wed, but that hasn't helped the problem any (driven > 300 kms since the fluid change).

My next step is to go back to the dealer and see what they have to say about this.

Does anybody know what the problem could be?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1&2 syncros are gone. Time for a new transmission. It will get worse. It is expensive also...
Old 09-17-2007, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine does this from time to time....

Mine doesnt block me out totally but it needs some love to go in. (dont confuse love for force)

What i do is when that happens (normally at a stop) is while putting normal pressure on the stick start pulling the clutch out a little and it will get things moving and help the syncro pull the cog in...

I've also had luck with shifting another gear and then try first again...

My first gear symptoms are more of a quark of the car rather than a problem per se. Yours might be mroe serious. but try those things.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default had that problem - my PP was not disengaging all the way .. till it died

one day and clutch was useless.
do u have issues going in other gears (try 3-rd , 5-th) from a dead stop ? if you do then you might have a faulty clutch, if not tranny problems , and you should never put it in first while you move !!! if you do @ under 5mph u HAVE to rev match it and double clutch it !!!!!!!!!!
@ a dead stop i use to go in 3rd or 5th first and then in 1-st (clutch was pressed in the entire time) ..it made it easier .
check that and report back !
my 1-st is corky still like Dubs'
Old 09-17-2007, 06:41 AM

Default Yeah, I do the same

regarding the love. Also found that going into second before first helps. Same thing...

Dunno if I'd call this problem a quirk though; it's definitely not right.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:44 AM

I was afraid of hearing the s-word.... but 2nd? I have no problem with any other gear.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default At a standstill, put the clutch in and slooooowly try to engage reverse

If you hear any sort of grinding or ticking then your clutch is not releasing properly. Otherwise it's a shifter alignment or synchro problem.

Like lemieux said, you can't get into 1st over 5 mph without rev matching. You shouldn't have any problem getting into 1st at a stop, though - the synchro should help you out. But if you have to shift to another gear first and then into 1st, who cares, its better than a tranny rebuild.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Thanks for the info.

Going between all other gears after neutral is no problem... Only 1st.

To clarify, I'm not really "moving" when I put it into first... but I am shifting directly into first after clutch-in+braking. So it goes:

1. clutch-in+brake (usually in 2nd at this time)
2. come to completely stop
3. shift into first, keeping clutch in.

Usually this gives no problem getting into 1st.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ah ok ..i find that being an easy way for me too ;)

as you move coming to a stop everything gets aligned in the trans so you can get in 1-st easy.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:57 AM

Will check that at lunch, thanks.

Quick Reply: Problem getting into first gear from dead stop.