S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Questions (breaking in new rotors, 20k service, and CA lemon law?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions (breaking in new rotors, 20k service, and CA lemon law?)

I'm at work and I'm too lazy to go get my service manual. I just picked up my S4 from getting the 20k service done and I thought they were supposed to rotate the tires? My fronts are getting pretty worn and I was hoping to get a couple months more out of the RE040's before replacing them.

Also, I complained about slight vibration from the brake pedal/steering wheel on braking from freeway speeds and they ended up replacing the front rotors. What is a good method for breaking them in properly?

And one last thing. I've had non-stop problems with the A/C on this car since I bought it on 8/24/2001. When I picked up the car at Beverly Hills Audi to drive it back home (San Diego), the A/C was blowing hot air so I took it to a local dealer immediately. The A/C was "recharged" since it was "out of refrigerant". That worked for a few months, then it started blowing hot again. I took it back to the same dealer and this time they found a bad valve or something that they said was letting the refrigerant slowly leak out. Again, this seemed to resolve the problem for a few months. Low and behold, a few months later, it is blowing hot again! This was about six months ago. I took it to a different dealer and they did this major service where they had to pull out the dash to get to the condensor/evaporator or something which they said had a pinhole leak. They had my car for like a week to the tune of some 20-30 hours of labor. The warranty paperwork showed something like $1500 in labor charges because of all they had to do. My dash is not quite the same and squeeks etc.

Fast forward to today. Now that it is getting warmer, I tried using the A/C today on my way back from picking up the car for the 20k service. The A/C is not blowing cold anymore so I'm assuming there is still yet another leak or some **** that let the refrigerant evaporate/leak out AGAIN.

WTF?! Can I lemon law this ****?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a feeling Nasa Racer will respond shortly to this...

Lemon seems to be his specialty now
Old 04-29-2003, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Google is your friend ...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.caag.state.ca.us/consumers/general/lemon.htm">http://www.caag.state.ca.us/consumers/general/lemon.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 04-29-2003, 02:23 PM
AJG
AudiWorld Super User

Default They only rotate the tires at the 5K service.

If I heard Steve Sako at Carlsen correctly, they are concerned that it might damage the differential to rotate the tires more frequently.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2003, 02:23 PM

Default Yeah..I was just reading up on that..

So this will be the 4th time I've had this problem since I've owned the car. Air conditioning was used several times as an example so I assume this would qualify as a lemon.

What are some outcomes that I could expect from this?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:25 PM

damage the differential? Thats a new one..
Old 04-29-2003, 02:26 PM
AJG
AudiWorld Super User

Default One more thing, with regard to your brakes, it is NOT proper break-in procedure . . .

. . . to do a 50 minute session with them at Laguna Seca.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2003, 02:26 PM
AJG
AudiWorld Super User

I might have heard his reason incorrectly. The point is that they don't rotate after the 5K service.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:29 PM

Thanks..guess I'll have it done or get new tires..
Old 04-29-2003, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default hmmm...

so you have been in 4 times for the same unresolved problem? Technically it's a lemon...the first step is to get in the AoA system and log a complaint about the car and be sure you can document the visits and time out of service.

The CA law is either OR...4 visits and/OR 30 days out of service and/OR serious unresolved safety issue.

Also be sure your car falls within all the requirements...CA state lemon law is pretty straightforward but you have to give the manufacturer a chance to make good.

Quick Reply: Questions (breaking in new rotors, 20k service, and CA lemon law?)