S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Quick couple of questions about fighting a speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2000, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick couple of questions about fighting a speeding ticket

I wasn't going to post here anymore. WTF happened? (damn Cheng!!)

Anyway, my best friend got a ticket the other day in her S4 doing 80 in a 55 zone about an hour outside of NYC. She pled not guilty and then asked me what to do. great! Doesn't she know that I'm real good at *getting* tickets ...... not fighting them?!?

She gives me this info: it was the early evening. Wet roads and getting dark. She said the traffic was light. She saw the cop, and slowed down (she's a quick one, isn't she?). Cop said he "clocked" her doing 80. She didn't ask any questions, or argue or anything with the officer... just took her ticket. Her only excuse for driving 80 is that she was going to be late to visit her aunt. She did visit her, and did wind up late

All the info on the ticket is correct.

So...

1) Does she have ANY chance to get it reduced to no points or dismissed?

2) What should she do if there *is* a chance?

3) What should she do if there is NO chance?

Her main reason for pleading not guilty is she's scared ****less about getting her insurance raised. (but not a money thing, her parents will... of course.... "kill her") I told her not to worry... it has happened to me twice! :P So, any ideas?

Thank youuu!
Old 10-13-2000, 10:25 AM

Default A semi-effective method.

Usually, if you schedule/cancel/reschedule a few times, the police officer(s) involved will get annoyed and just blow off the court date.
Old 10-13-2000, 10:38 AM

Default Don't know of a way out, but

If her record is clean, she can ask for mercy from the judge and go to traffic school to keep the offense off her insurance. Of course this only works for the 1st ticket. :0

P.S glad you'e Back!
Old 10-13-2000, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default 1- Yes. 2. Get a lawyer. 3- N/A. 4. Read the thread about this EXACT subject further down this page

And also, scour the web, there's some decent stuff out there on what to do/say and what not to. That being said, it didn't help me in MA; I'm not familiar with NY's tactics/laws.

Good luck to her!
Old 10-13-2000, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Check your email. I hear this works in most states...

Pay the ticket and purposely overpay by a few dollars. They will send a check for the difference back to you and DON'T cash it. If the case is never closed financially, then it's never reported to the insurance company.
Old 10-13-2000, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

e-mail me
Old 10-13-2000, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

State or Local cops? what town?
Old 10-13-2000, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yep, otherwise, tell her to eat it and get smarter about speeding

Your only hope would be that the cop won't show, but if it was a highway or federal road they usually show up, so in that case, maybe beg for mercy and get it reduce some.

I went through this time ago, several times , no radar detector (I had a cheapo that wasn't too reliable) will save your *** in certain situations/conditions, she still needs to learn to set cruise control and only speed when it's 'safe'.
Old 10-13-2000, 11:26 AM

Default Sorry...it's an old and discredited urban legend

It's been circulating on the Internet since 98. The link has all of the details. A good traffic defense lawyer (not an area of my practice) can advise your friend.<ul><li><a href="http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.htm">Urban legend--slightly overpaying ticket</a></li></ul>
Old 10-13-2000, 11:40 AM

Default Try this link (some of it may not apply to your state though)

I mean tell your friend to try this link.<ul><li><a href="http://www.magma.ca/~fyst">Fight Your Speeding Tickets page</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Quick couple of questions about fighting a speeding ticket