S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

The S4 gets airborne...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The S4 gets airborne...

Please excuse the formatting as I cut and pasted this from a text file.

After I came home from work, I went to visit Juan and go eat sushi with him and his charming girlfriend. After dinner, I was on my way home when I realized I hadn't shown how much pull the S4 had to Juan's girlfriend. So we're on University heading towards Central going north (for those of you who don't live in Albuquerque just bear with me). I take my car up to 60mph before I realize that there's a small hill coming up (as I'm thinking I could get airborne...) we ramp off the hill and get slightly airborne and land without my front end hitting the ground (which was amazing since I needed to hit the brakes hard to slow down for Juan's turn). Juan's girlfriend Jocelyn hit her head on my roof because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt (just goes to show you!). I checked out my car after I dropped them off and my rims weren't dented. I also looked at the underside of my front bumper for more scratches (they still had the ones that were there from leaving two places with steep driveways) and the same ones were there. I learned another lesson today about my car besides not noticing that I had taken it up to 60mph):

Watch out for those small hills when the going wide open throttle because you might just catch some air! Next time my suspension/springs might not be so tolerant if I had gone even higher in the air. This is definitely one of those days where I wish I could have "felt" that I was going way too fast; however, everything seemed so smooth until we left the ground.
Old 07-25-2001, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Could have been worse, you could have let off the gas at the top of that hill...

I did that once late at night when I was doing some "high speed" stuff with my friends. I wasn't really paying attention because it was 3am and I saw some headlights on the side of the road. Not wanting to meet a local copper, I let off the gas until I could confirm. Well I hit a little hill (that I had never even noticed at normal speeds - I drive this road a lot) just as I let off the gas (at maybe 80 - I was in the middle of accelerating to high speed) and we all almost went into the ceiling. We were wearing seat belts though, stopped us.

After I confirmed it wasn't a cop, I accelerated over all of the hills I encountered after that and it was nice to feel the suspension lower to hug the road instead of lift.

By the way, it was raining too. I asked my best friend to try that with his Cobra! Ha!
Old 07-30-2001, 12:35 PM

Default UPDATE: My car is now leaking its windshield washer fluid.

Hopefully they can fix this when I bring it in for my synchro issues on Wednesday.