S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 have been delivered into the Bay Area for the Historics

Old 08-23-1999, 09:04 AM
Steve S.

Default S4 have been delivered into the Bay Area for the Historics

I just got off the phone with my dealer...and he said his dealership got TEN S4s (or thereabouts) delivered on Friday and this morning. They are being prepped for the Monterey Historic races...for the press corp...and AoA officials (probably Audi AG officials as well). They brought their own mechanics...own tools....and are just doing the prep to get them drivable. They will be reloaded onto car transports and delivered back down to Monterey very soon (today...tomorrow? Wednesday? I dunno)

Anyway, be on the lookout in NorCal for S4s....they will be very easily seen during the next two weeks.

For those of you not in NorCal...sorry to rub this in. :-(

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 08-23-1999, 09:15 AM
christine s

Well, which dealer is it? I'm taking a little lunch voyage then to go look-see...:-P
Old 08-23-1999, 09:48 AM
loreon

Default If it's not too much trouble...

Would you mind (or anyone else for that matter) checking to see if there is a silver leather interior car in that lot and telling me if the entire door panel is silver as well or is it just a silver insert into a mostly black panel. Same for carpets (silver or black?).

Also, it it a pretty dark silver grey? (tending towards dark flannel?)

Sorry, for posting the same question twice but I would have held off on the first post if I knew this one was coming.

Thanks - this may save me a sleepless night of wondering.
Old 08-23-1999, 10:50 AM
Steve S.

Default The dealer is about 55 miles from me...I cannot get up there today or tomorrow

One of the S4s is a Silver one.

Email me for a suggestion.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 08-23-1999, 12:31 PM
Peter G

Default Saw one at Carlsen: impressions (long)

I saw a BRIGHT yellow S4 at Carlsen on Sunday. Apparently the car belonged to the Audi guys up in Livermore (or something like that). Anyway, my first sighting. Impressions:

The nose of the car is easily distinguished from the A4. It is a bit busier, and definitely meatier. Personally, I like the increased size, but the lines are not as smooth as the A4. Along the same lines, the side skirts are way more elaborate- some have wondered if they are black or colored- in this case they were colored.

The brakes calipers looked excellent, but the disc size didn't seem that big to me. I'm suprised that Audi didn't use any sort of slotted or drilled rotors (one thing that looks just awesome on Porsche breaks, IMHO). The back breaks are still small. I mean puny. I'm not sure they're any larger than A4 rears.

Wheels: this car had the same wheels as the TT- a 6 spoke flat wheel (AVUS). I have Fittipaldi Polaris on my A4- and I think it suits the A4 very well. The AVUS looks better on the TT because the TT is a much smaller car- on the S4 they lack a bit of the aggresive flare that is seen on the rest of the car.

Instrument cluster: very nicely laid out- you '00 A4 drivers will be happy to know that it is the same design as will be on your cars. Definitely an aesthetic upgrade. The Sunroof controls are a bit more bulky- just enough to be a very slight detractor- probably something a 6'0" would get used to after a few drives. Cupholders are fine.

Exhaust: good enough, though I think it is the same one as the stock A4 (please correct me if not)- they put funky tips on it to make it look more impressive.

Concensus: aesthetically, the S4 doesn't have much on the A4- this was to be expected. Those of you that have considered new sideskirts and front pieces will be pleased with the subtle differences. Of course, I'm sure as soon as I here the engine, I will know what justifies the extra $5-6K. Congratulations to those near the top of the list.

Peter G
96 12v 2.8QM