S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4: How many watts with standard stereo...and with Bose upgrade ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-1999, 08:43 PM
Steve S.

Default S4: How many watts with standard stereo...and with Bose upgrade ??

Ok...from the Audi of America "new" brochure...I have been able to determine that...

1) Standard stereo for 2000 A4 1.8T and 2.8 is 80 watts
2) Standard stereo for 2000 A4 Avant (both of them) is 120 watts
3) Standard stereo for 2000 A6 is 140 watts
4) Standard stereo for 2000 A8 is 200 watts
5) Standard stereo for 2000 S4 is 120 watts

So, what is the wattage for the S4 when you have the Bose upgrade?

200? I sure hope so....(btw, I have now heard the Bose upgrade in
Jack H's and Corey's S4...it sounds pretty damn good to me....good
enough to change my S4 order? YUP! )

Another btw, there is a conflict in the marketing material from Audi...the
main 2000 brochure for all Audis shows the A6 stereo having 120 watts,
and the new 2000 A6 brochure says 140 watts...I wonder which one it
is?

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 09-26-1999, 06:45 AM
Jason Teller

Default How did the speakers sound

Were they full sounding? Did the system sound like it had enough power? I'll probably take the amp and JL Audio speakers from my current A4 and move them to the S4, but I'm curious how the stock stereo sounds by itself.

Jason
Old 09-26-1999, 07:02 AM
scot kight

Default Re: S4: How many watts with standard stereo...and with Bose upgrade ??

Watts and car stereo's is meaningless. You need more then just "I can push X amount of watts" Most of the time they just look at the speakers, and add up the max wattage the speakers can handle. "I HAVE A 400 watt system"
powered by a 7 watt head unit.

The bose system says its 150watts. I absolutely positively dont want it in my car. But to get it in late october/early november, I have to get it. Bose makes pure and utter crap. Everything they have booms, their tweeters are hopelessly out of phase and frequency response. Its pathetic. They do every trick in the book to have cheaper speakers produce a few notes which on a quick listen make us think its a fuller sound. But when it gets down to real music, you miss all kinds of bits and peices of information.

The other trick they do is as follows. There is a standard for home equipment, you have to be able to put the stated wattage, into a dummy load, 20-20khz for I think 10 minutes, without shutdown or distortion above a certain amount. This is "ok" the dummy load dosent respond like a speaker changing its impedence all the time so its not a real test, but its pretty good.

Car tests have no requirements. The jensens, pyramids, and urban audio works of the car world take their *chuckle* amp, and put it against a load, at a specific frequency (where it is most efficient) and see how high it can go. Screw how distorted. 300watt urban audio amp. read the real specs, 2watt at 3%THD.

Bose falls into that category. CHEAP crap equipment. Everyone makes a profit, and people dont know that they are listening to utter crap. Its like taste, until you have tasted the ultimate steak, a well done 1/4" peice of extra lean from the market is just fine.

I like mine 1"+ thick and medium thank you :>
With a good merlot. mmmmmmmmmmm

Scot
Old 09-26-1999, 07:05 AM
Steve S.

Default I have only heard ones with the Bose package

IMHO, It is leaps and bounds better than the current bose upgrade on the A4. I don't have a bose system now...so I cannot compare to any great extent...all I know is that the S4 bose package sounds really nice to me.

Jason, it is too late for you anyway...isn't your car coming in 2.5 - 3 weeks?

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 09-26-1999, 08:10 AM
Another Drew

Default Scot, could you help out a fellow S4 owner w/ my stereo upgrade?

Hey Scot,

I just got my VIN from Bob yesterday, so hopefully i'll have it by end of Oct. I didn't order Bose because my previous A4 had bose and I really didn't think it was good. I know don't know anything about car stereo equipment. Do you think you could give me some recommendations? I don't have a budget in mind yet, but I'd like to explore ALL options as see what I'm willing to spend for quality sound. Yes, I've checked the archives but there's so much information and they all talk about brands I'm not familiar with.

Have you gotten anymore info from Bob? If you're supposed to get it end of this month, shouldn't bob get you the vin# by now eventhough he's doing a dealer trade?

Later,
Drew
Old 09-26-1999, 09:27 AM
LCP

Default Stock stereo doesn't sound too good

First off, the factory 4" up front can handle no bass -- they go muddy with more than about 5w of paower. Secondly, the rear speakers have NO highs, little midrange and all bass. So, in order to make it sound decent, you have to put the fader toward the rear (so that you can good bass; the rear speakers can't produce the highs/mids) and boost the treble (so that the soundstage still feels up front). Probably around Christmas bonus time, I'll re-do the stereo; I really only need to pay for speakers and installation since I've got 2 amplifiers sitting in the garage and I will use the stock head unit.
Old 09-26-1999, 01:00 PM
pk

Default How bout adding an amplified sub?

How do you think it would sound if adding just a sub, like the Bazooka? That would take care of all the bass, and the front and rears could just handle the mid and high. Do you think that would sound at least as good as the bose system?
Old 09-26-1999, 03:16 PM
LCP

Default I added 12" sub w/200W amp & Canton 4" separates up front in my old A4 & it sounded better than Bose

I left the factory rear speakers and the new Cantons being powered off of the Delta head unit and it sounded "good" -- not as good as my previous systems, but better than the Bose unit.