S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 Turbos Question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 Turbos Question....

I recently bought a 2000 S4 tip for my wife.....and I'm very impressed already! I do have a couple questions though as I am a complete noob with this car. The turbos were replaced in the car about 2 years ago (50k ago) but I am hearing "different" noises than in my 1.8T VW. First off, there is absolutely NO loss in power, NO leaking oil, NO white smoke, and NO other 'signs' of blown turbos.....except for the "dentist drill" noise that people talk about. Now, I don't know if it's me just over reacting or what, but the noise isn't loud at all and it only comes on when in initial boost (around 2k rmp). The noise stays around throughout boost, but definately gets quieter the more you push it, and then when the car goes into vaccuum it almost has a "retracting whistle" sound (if that makes sense) for a split second. My question is, with two turbos instead of one, do they sound different to the untrained ear? Is this "whistling" normal for the turbos, or is the start of a turbo swap project? I have read a couple posts on AW and on here where people have a similar sound but found out it was only a leak, how would I check for leaks?

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this for me.....I'm just learning about the.

Thanks in advance from an S4 noob
Old 08-31-2006, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you dont have dentist drill if it is quiet...you WILL know when you get the real dentist drill

As for the turbos getting quieter at higher RPMs, thats probably because the engine is getting louder and you just cant hear 'em any more.

It sounds like you have a healthy case of paranoia. Welcome to the club!

I'd recommend that you pressure test and then enjoy the car w/o paranoia.

Is the car chipped? Do you have a boost gauge?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:52 AM

Default If they were going bad, you'd know. Very distinct, loud drilling sound that will

get progressively louder with more boost. Two turbo's will make more sound than the one in a 1.8t.

I wouldn't worry too much. Could always bring it to a good mechanic and have them look it over.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default initial guess: you're fine

the car pretty much always makes the whistling sound, general consensus is that if you have to ask you don't have blown turbos, if it's really loud and annoying as hell then u might want to start thinking about options. Only way to know for sure is to log group 115 w/ a VAG-COM and see what requested vs. actual boost looks like but my guess is you're fine. If you want to feel better about it, replace the bypass valves (search the archives for a LOT of content). Good luck
Old 08-31-2006, 08:36 AM

Default I think mine sounds about right like you are saying. In the 2K - 3K range! Its been that way for 10K

Miles. The funny thing I belive mine make alittle more noise than another S4 that I bought for my friend. My noise is not really a dentist drill, but rather a turbo whistle noise, if that makes any sense lol
Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default When my car is cold passengers think we are getting pulled over (from the sound)

but it has been like that since I have had the car, got worse when I installed my Downpipes
Old 08-31-2006, 09:28 AM

OK. mine isn't that loud
Old 08-31-2006, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default "It sounds like you have a healthy case of paranoia. Welcome to the club!"

This couldn't be more true. Since I purchased my S4 early this year I have been more paranoid than ever. Paranoid about things breaking, going out, getting stolen, etc. I've already dropped over 2k into the car since I've had it for upgrades and maintenance.

As far as your turbos go, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a feeling we'll know when they are toast. Until then, keep spoolin them up!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As everyone below says, if you aren't sure you have the dentist drill noise, you don't.

It's VERY pronounced.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That is just the turbos spooling up. A noise like that is loudest when you first enter boost, and

then the noise tapers away as your boost pressure rises, once full boost is reached, you shouldn't hear the noise anymore. Do you hear it at full boost?

Quick Reply: S4 Turbos Question....