S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 vs. a Ford Lightning & S2000 lastnight.....my results for those who care. (long winded)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2000, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 vs. a Ford Lightning & S2000 lastnight.....my results for those who care. (long winded)

This guy I met at the local hangout gave me a chance to see how my car would run against his Lightning in straight line acceleration. It was pretty interesting. I have seen them run low 14s and high 13s at the Texas Motorplex so I figured it would be a pretty close race. He wanted to go from about a 10mph roll but we ended up run from a 60mph punch. The first time we raced I didn't really know he was ready to go until I heard him start honking his horn. We took off and he got about a car on me from the start. This is the first time I really realized any lag in my S4. Anyway, we ran up to about 115 and then a turn came up and we both got out of it. I was about at his back tire at this point.

The second run I honked but didn't get the car in boost before the 3rd honk. So, again he got out ahead of me but only by about 3/4s of a car this time. This time when I hit 5 gear, I was very very very slowly starting to catch him. I thought I saw the back of a cop car up the road, so I hit the brakes quick. It was a really good race though. I was at his door at this point. My car and his truck were exactly the same except for the initial take off at 60mph. I think my gearing was allowing me to catch him in 5th gear though. It was alot of fun. I haven't had a race that was that even since I use to race in my Corrado (which is on an artificial heart right about now). A chip change should do the trcik. It was fun to get a chance to gauge the straight line performance of my car. I don't think I have in TBB problems so it was a good run. I would have liked to pass him or atleast get dead even with him but I was just glad I didn't miss any gears or have any other trouble.

Oh on the lag thing, this is a trip. Two friends of my were racing each other. One has an Auto Supra Turbo with a single turbo conversion and the other has one of the coolest conversions around. Its a Lexes SC300 with a Surpa Turbo motor, 6-speed Tranny and brakes. Well, I was watching them race and when they took off, I took off with them. Now this is the interesting part. I was able to jump a car on them for a couple of seconds, then they disappeared. But it was pretty neat to see the difference in lag between the cars.

Oh yeah, I also raced an S2000. We both had passengers but it was a good race also. We took off from 40mph. Second, third gear he hung in pretty good but 4th and 5th I was able to pull away. Both runs were basically the same result. I was surprised. I thought he might be able to take me on the top end. It was an extremely sweet looking car though. The Xenons on that thing look sweet! I would have loved to drive it once to see how it handles.

I tell you, the S4 is such so much fun to drive I can't get enough. I just wish I could keep some of the miles off of it.

Well, thats my experiences this weekend. Time to let the car rest and drive like a slow like regular people......maybe. :-)<p>00 S4 Silver/Silver
Old 05-21-2000, 08:49 AM

What happened to your Corrado, Was it a VR6?
Old 05-21-2000, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Here's an interesting website...

http://popularmechanics.com/popmech/auto3/9907AUCTBM.html

I would have thought the guy with the S2000 was handicapping himself more than you with a passenger because he would be adding a larger percentage of total weight and has no torque to get the extra weight moving, but it's a great story.

Did you try the shifter in the S2000? It's to die for. Honda has a real passion for machinery. On the top end, I don't think the S2000 has a speed governor and should be good for about 150. A chipped S4 (6-speed) would be faster. The S2000s look cool, unfortunately Hondas are about the only Japanese cars still styled in Japan. The new Integra looks like a tall version of the Prelude. While it's impossible to quantify style (everyone has different tastes) this angular boxy thing they're currently doing is ugly to me. Only the S2000 gets it to be pleasingly aggressive to my eye. I still like the soft curves of the S4.

It's my understanding that the Lightning pretty much craps out at 115 (I mean it STILL is a heavy truck - 4670lbs - so even with power, it needs low gearing to be useful AND rip off 1/4 mile runs in the 13s). Had the road been longer you would have overtaken and walked away.

Speaking of that, remember to check the speed ratings on your tires. The US speed limited chips are to stay safely within the stock tire specs. Most of you who have chipped don't seem to use stock tires but it's just a good thing to check if you haven't already.
Old 05-21-2000, 10:59 AM

Default Not to worry, RE040 tires are Y rated. Good for 186MPH

<p>donp - '00 S4 Silver/Silver
audizone.com
Old 05-21-2000, 11:24 AM

Default Nah, Lightning goes to about 130 pretty easily, then takes 4 ever to get to 140...I know :)

Also, with some mods, some guy got it to run in the mid to high 11s I think. Its one fast *** truck.
Old 05-21-2000, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its still around, but......

It just needs a little work. Brake pads, fuel filter, plugs, oil change........stuff like that. It does have this hicup that drives me crazy. When the car has been running for a while and gets in its normal operating temp, especially if its hot outside. It will hicup when I give it gas. I haven't had the time or energy to spend in it to figure it out. One day I will.....but it works fine getting to and from work.<p>00 S4 Silver/Silver
Old 05-21-2000, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Nothing like good ole , forced induction, cubes and torque for acceleration
Old 05-21-2000, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The sound the blower made was pretty cool also. Sweet truck.

<p>00 S4 Silver/Silver
Old 05-21-2000, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh yeah, its a 93 VR6.

<p>00 S4 Silver/Silver
Old 05-21-2000, 11:05 PM

Default A blow off valve in S4 would make nice noises too

<p>Peter Y. Lee
Philadelphia, PA
96 M3 Lux (an S4 aficianado)