S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

s5 vs stg3 b5 s4 review

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s5 vs stg3 b5 s4 review

I was going to write this review several weeks ago and just seemed to never get around to it...so my memory is a bit hazy...but figured the community would like to hear, so here it goes.

My boss just replaced his B7 a4 with an S5. (In the summer he drives an 07 supercharged mustang gt, of which I'm not a fan. I was originally offended to think he bought the S5 as his new DD) He and I have talked about my EPL stage 3 for a while and a few weeks ago he suggested we take the cars for a spin. He gave me the tour of his car and left me in the driver's seat; I did the same for him. We went on a short circuit around the town, got on an onramp, went an exit or two, got off, and came back. Here are my thoughts:

What everyone says about ergonomics and interior (and toys in general for that matter) is exactly right. From the pushbutton start and parking brake, to NAV and backup camera, the driver's seat is a joy to sit in. It feels, and looks, like you'd expect in a brand new 50k+ car. I love the RNS-d, phatbox, and hardwired radar and laser detection in my car, but there really was no comparison. It took me a while to get used to the gauges in the S5; there were alerts and lights and beeps for nearly everything....shift lights, gear indicators, etc. The huge moonroof was nice to look at...I was bummed to hear that it doesn't actually slide open.

The driving was actually only ho-hum. This may be an unfair bias; I drive my car most days and there's nothing I'd rather drive. The S5 felt heavy (although very stable) and I missed the sound of my twin2. It purred quietly at idle, but didn't nearly roar under throttle like I had expected. The on-ramps were fun, the car gets from 60 to 90 without much work, and it stops like you'd expect...firmly and quietly. All in all, it was a nice drive, and a beautiful car, but the best part was seeing the grin on my boss's face in the rearview. Everytime we stopped at a light, all I could see was joy on his face at the fact that he'd been pinned to my bumper in the last corner. All in, it felt a lot like the B6 S4's I've driven...nice, refined, luxury cars marketed as sporty.

To agree completely with S IV PLAY a few posts down, it feels great to know that my 25k car does just fine side by side with a car worth 2 or 3 times that. Compared with a stock B5 S4, the S5 is worlds better, but compared to a well running stage 3, there is no comparison.

I've said it before...there is no car under 70k that's AWD, seats 4, looks good, and pulls like a bat outta hell, that I'd rather drive every day than one of these cars. Long live the B5 S4!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thanks for sharing =)

i had a very similar experience with the 335xi coupe...
although it was on a test drive, my impressions were almost exactly the same. LOVED the seats, nav, and warning blinking lights. however the power was not there in the straight. turning was good but it falls short of an s4 with ohlins and sways imo. interior other than seats and nav left much to be desired. i've sat in an s5 and that interior is far superior. sounds like stage3 b5s4> s5> 335xi coupe.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default my boss is not really a tinkerer, wanted something awd and nice looking, and has the $$

So its hard to blame him...its a beautiful car. My 7 year old, non-warrantied, modded-up ride isn't really in his class....but as a car enthusiast its hard to argue with a stage3 b5.

Where in CT do you live? I haven't seen a casa s4 in hartford county in months...
Old 03-22-2008, 03:06 PM

i was bummed about the moonroof too, kinda weak
Old 03-22-2008, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I think an S5 with exhaust and coilovers would be near perfect
Old 03-22-2008, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You've got a 40k car with a good chunk of $$ in mods, there's probably

more money sunk into your car than the $50k S5.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:20 AM

Default power not there? 335i are making 275 whp stock, 340whp chipped. You're jaded :)

Yeah I'd rather have a stage 3 S4, but it better be running good to beat a chipped 335i anywhere but from a stop. I know there a lot of fast stage 3 cars here, but I'd bet the average OTS stage 3 would be hard pressed to beat a stage 1 or 2 335i.

I know you're talking about a 335xi...but if I were to buy a bimmer it would be in it's proper form, RWD.

But yeah, they are kind of ugly IMO. The coupe is kinda nice, but the S5 is much sexier in and out. If I was shopping though between the two I'd likely choose the one with TURBOS, and overlook the sex appeal.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

True...I'm thinking more in terms of current market value + mods
Old 03-23-2008, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default really? I was quicker/faster (lower ET and higher trap) than the chipped 335is @ german invasion

last year... and I was on stock turbos, stage 2+.

I've had a couple run-ins with chipped 335is on the street, and had similar results. It was closer because I was on 91, but I still was able to pull slightly.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Too bad they overheat on the track and go into limp mode.

Quick Reply: s5 vs stg3 b5 s4 review