S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

scary street race story...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scary street race story...

Was doing a few cruising laps on the local strip tonight. It started to rain (that shoulda been the first sign to go home), not much going on, my friend had left, so one more lap and go home... The rain stopped- just enough to smear this slippery paste on the road, not enough to be kicked up by tires, you all know the kind, it's dangerous as hell. At a light right before I'm going home, a red Stealth R/T turbo shows up to my left, guy and his girl. I always wanted to run one, hehe. I got the better launch, caught him off guard, and it was over very quickly. I was just out of 1st gear, so around 40mph.
Then it gets interesting. He motions for a rolling start on this long straight, and I figure, ok, a good chance. I can't even get near they guy before he takes off, so a chase is a race, etc., and I follow off on a long (3/4 mile straight of 4 lanes, no traffic, all concrete barrier road. Near the end he was inching away from me ever so slightly (he did get the jump, mind you). At the end, however, is an S turn up a hill. I let off, brake, but I see he's not letting off. Oh ****. As soon as I saw he wasn't letting off I was reaching for my cell phone- I knew something bad was about to happen. I watched his tail track out just slightly, and snap back around the other way. The turn goes left, his initial tail out was to the right (as expected), and his snap oversteer sent him into a clockwise spin. In the middle of the turn, he jumps the curb backwards, goes through a fence and up a short but steep bank, nestles against a lamp post, and it's all over. It was one of the most violent wrecks' I've ever seen. BUT, it happened in a way that was the absolute best for the driver- rear first, up a steep bank, come to rest pretty gently. I pulled as close as I could, asked him if everyone was ok, to which I got verbal "yes"'s, asked if I could call the police for him. He said ok, and I went ahead about 1/4 mile to the nearest turn off and called the police. I described it as vaguely as possible, saying simply that I saw a stranded motorist on the side of the road who looked ok, but looked like he slid off. I was scared ****less at that point- I didn't know if the guy was going to be a dick, if anyone witnessed the "speed contest" and would call thge cops on me, ****, a billion things were going through my mind, once I was sure everyone was ok from the crash. The guy was actually very collected and calm saying "yeah we're cool, it's just the car that's not in good shape." So that eased my mind. I have to admit, I did get out of the area pretty quickly- not speeding, just making a direct route home. The 911 operator I spoke with was a policeman who sounded as calm as anyone, so I knew the message I conveyed was done in the correct manner.
Damn. The year+ I've been on this board, I've run across a few of these stories. When reading them, one (at least, me) tends to think of them as sort of scary, but distant. Well let me tell you, I will not be venturing out to that (or any) strip in the near future, and that no part of me is proud or happy or in a good rush that I was part of this. It's just plain ****ing stupid. I told a friend- "I guess that's the curse of males, the adrenaline and testosterone kicking in, and overriding the simplest logical thought a smart person like me could have." This week in my area there have been wrecks that killed two people I knew vaguely, one the sister of a coworker. I think back to the friends I had that have been killed by car wrecks, whether drunk drivers or speed or whatever. I think back to me being so insistant on wearing seatbelts, on setting a good example for my kids, and how proud I used to be of the fact that I never used to take the bait of a race, get caught up in this stupid *** phenomenon. I think about how much track driving and instructionm I've had- which, while little in comparison to lots of people here, is still a step above the rest of the nations' drivers- and even through all that, I had to go and do this lame *** ****. I think about what COULD have happened, had the grace of God not stepped in blessed the spin with very forgiving physics. I could have been part of the death of someone. What the **** is THAT worth??? I also remember saying tonight "you could dangle a million bucks in front of me and I wouldn't do that again."
NASA Pete's words "take it to the track" keep resonating in my mind over and over again. I don't even wanna know what my dreams will hold tonight.
Obviously, this is the first time I've been involved in something like this, and I pray it's the last. Did I do everything ok once the wreck happened? Should I worry (heh, too late)? This sucks. People, get your frustrations/angsts/weekly buildup out on whatever else doesn't involve **** like this, it's not worth it. I know that it was another person driving, and that he is responsible for his own actions, but to be a part of this makes a big part of who I pride myself to be very very ill. Stay safe.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:45 PM

cliff notes?
Old 05-17-2002, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hahahahah!

don't fret over other's mistakes!
Old 05-17-2002, 10:54 PM

Default Not your fault..you shouldn't feel bad..

HE was the one who didn't apply the brakes..
His fault he crashed..
But atleast he is ok.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:58 PM

Default Re: scary street race story...

Wow - sounds like you're pretty shaken up by this. That's good - and it's good to shake the rest of us up with it, too. Racing on public roads just ain't worth it. Not worth the risk to yourself, your car, or worst of all, to other people.

Did you do everything right? Well, what *should* you have done, besides what you did? You stopped and asked if they were OK (a lot of people would NOT have done that). They were. You called the cops. He wiped out and bent his car. End of story.

IMO, he's not going to say anything about you being in a "speed contest" with him. All that would do is get him a [another?] citation.

When it comes right down to it, a bunch of cheap [sic] metal was bent. Big deal. And this guy learned valuable lesson, without getting hurt. That's worth one heck of a lot. Insurance will take care of the only "damage" that occurred, and that's what it's for. But you, and he, I'm sure, will be safer drivers as a result.

Thanks for sharing. Sobering reminder, but ended without injury. Chill out now, and drive safe (as if you won't ;-)

PS: Never met NASA, but he is wise indeed.
Old 05-17-2002, 11:05 PM

Default this is why you don't want to street race...

http://www.theargusonline.com/framework/0%2C1918%2C83%257E1971%257E617626%2C00.html
Old 05-17-2002, 11:06 PM

Default oops, let me try that again...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.theargusonline.com/framework/0%2C1918%2C83%257E1971%257E617626%2C00.html">from Fremont CA</a></li></ul>
Old 05-18-2002, 12:35 AM

Default Oh man, that news story is not cool...

So, now you're no longer responsible for your own actions, but other people who want to follow your example too huh?
Old 05-18-2002, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the morning after...

I'm pretty ok by now. No scary dreams (I actuually slept better than I had in a while), no cops bangin on the door. I don't think I have anything to worry about, and I'm really pretty chill about it now. Thanks for all your calming words. Bent metal, lessons learned, 'nuff said. Life goes on, a bit more aware of what that all means...
Old 05-18-2002, 07:39 AM

Default some lessons are harder learned then others...

sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad it didn't turn out as ugly as it could've. RAcing on the street is very dangerous and thankfully nobody else was hurt either due to this guys inexperience. Those were very honest things for you to say too...nice to see someone else showing they have a conscious. Don't turn car's aside though...just remember to take it to the track 8^)

Quick Reply: scary street race story...