S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

should I stay or should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I stay or should I go?

Well boys, I've come at a sort of crossroads, where I need to try and find in which direction to continue my course. Here's me: addicted to speed, domestic power, and a little bit of luxury as well. I just bought my S4 for - well let's not go to price, but just say thousands and I mean multiple thousands under book. If sold, this car could net me a good profit. I go to school in the MUCK in michigan, and we get the whole deal (lake effect, etc.). I was driving yesterday though, and saw a man with his wife and CHILD driving the SAME year S4 in black. This made me think - maybe this car is a little too much for me right now, age level and etc. So what do you all think of this side plan.

1) Sell the S, make a good profit.

2) Buy some sort of TOUGH truck for up north
winter driving. (Toyo Tacoma, lifted, tires, etc.)

3) Use the rest of the money to build some real
domestic power such as: 90-93 mustang LX with some serious push - 408, blown 351W, etc. 94-97 Z28 with leather, six speed - go with some sort of either heads/cam setup or blower - or combination of both?

4) store the speed in the winter, use the truck to rip it up.

So give me your HONEST input guys - rip me apart if you so please for even THINKING of disgracing the legacy of the S4 in such a manner.

Details on the S:
'00 Laser Red S4
36k miles
Black leather (full black leather)
6speed
APR EMCS (normal/93 map)
Tinted windows (5% metallic base)
extended 75k mile warranty (bumper to bumper, no deductible, mod friendly)
4 potenzas (summer), and 4 blizzaks for the winter
No nav, but EVERY other option.
Some rash on the stock wheels.

So bring it on!! input please!!

Jared
Old 07-30-2003, 09:51 AM

my friend is selling his 95 z28 that runs 12.3 na............
Old 07-30-2003, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

keep it
Old 07-30-2003, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thoughts:

I am not much older than you (assuming your normal age for a college student) and I am in a similar position. I say if you can afford it, don't think too much about whether you deserve it or not. While it's true that the S4 carries a rather large opportunity cost, especially considering investment, maybe this car means a lot to you, and you DO love speed.

However, consider how often you drive the car. As for me, I didn't drive very far to get to campus (about 1.3 miles) and always walked to parties (for obvious reasons). So an expensive car like the S4 wasn't a prudent option at the time. Perhaps your situation is similar.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:07 AM
Elder Member

Default hehe....do what you want.

S4 has already spoiled you...its a great combo of looks, power, utility, luxury. now, do you want a dedicated truck and raw V8 monster, or just one car with that magic mix? all up to you...
Old 07-30-2003, 10:12 AM

Default If you are a fan of domestics, go that route...

No reason to keep a car that "isn't you".

The pony cars will be cheaper and easier to mod.

Screw status, be happy with what you drive even if it is <cough>crap<cough> a Chevy. ;-)

Personally, I love german sports sedans, and hate domestics. If someone gave me an SVT Cobra, I would sell it and buy something that I like. Just do what your gut tells you.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:46 AM

Default Haven't run across any time in MI that I needed more muck capability.

If you don't mant to get it salty or whatever that a different story, but it's very capable of handling a MI winter.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:54 AM

Default I think your conflict is "domestic power" and "a little bit of luxury" - tough to get them both...

You currently have one classy car that's better than 99.5% of other vehicles out there in good weather, and a different 99.5% in bad weather. IMHO, the ultimate single vehicle to own.

You're considering two vehicles - one mulletobile that's a bit better in good weather and something else for the winter, that in my opinion isn't nearly as good as the S4 - if ground clearance & towing/hauling aren't issues, then I'd rather have a quattro car in winter than a truck (that's if you don't mind getting the S4 dirty, which I obviously don't).

I always look forward to going out and playing in a good snowstorm if I can avoid getting stuck in traffic (which can be where a luxury interior is nice too). I guess there is one other thing that a truck might be better at: surviving an accident - although the S4 would be much more mobile to avoid the accident in the first place.

Ultimately (and obviously) it's your choice - which one would make you smile more in the morning - getting up to go drive the bit of luxury S4 or to the domestic power Stang/Z28 with Tacoma?
Old 07-30-2003, 11:04 AM

Default I'm in almost the same boat. I purchased at a low enough price that I can sell and make some ....

cash, but my 2wd truck doesn't do so well in the MI winters. Plus, I like the S4.

Basically, if I sold the S, I would consider buying a house; if I sell the S, I have to putt-putt along in my 4cyl truck-especially if I get a house. And any other sporty vehicles that I could pick up using only a portion of the proceeds won't be any better than the S4 in the winter, and will likely be worse than the truck. Decisions, decisions
Old 07-30-2003, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I went the other way, but...

looks like I'm twice your age and then some. Sold a 400hp blown '97 and got the Avant last year. Miss the power, but I couldn't go back, I need the carrying space and I'd look like I'm having a mid life crisis behind the wheel of a Saleen! I like your plan.

Quick Reply: should I stay or should I go?