S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Stuck it to another Mustang last night

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 11:23 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck it to another Mustang last night

We were both first at a light. I'm in the left lane, he's in the right (only two lanes). There's a bus stopped at the curb in his lane just past the intersection. He's slightly staggered behind me, maybe one 1/4 car length. As the other direction goes yellow and then red, he creeps forward, and I get the idea that he's going to try to jump ahead of me to get around the bus. Well, green light pops up and we both take off. He even had a small rolling start, but it was no contest. He had the length of the intersection to realize that he wasn't gaining any ground (we were even the whole way) and he had to back off and get behind me. As soon as I reached the bus, I coasted down to the speed limit (we weren't even 5 over at that point - it was such a small distance). He stayed there for a few blocks (I was toiling along at the speed limit after the 'race'), and then he jumps to the right, guns it, and jumps right back in my lane, just off of my bumper. I expected him to do it, so I wasn't even surprised or mad. I actually giggled a bit because I wasn't trying to race him at that point. You could tell that he was pissed at not being able to get me at the light. Ha ha! Why don't they read the badge on the back of the car...
Old 12-04-2001, 11:29 AM

Your stock correct? Good job!
Old 12-04-2001, 11:33 AM
Rest In Peace

Yep. All stock. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2001, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Similar today at lunch...

I was in the left lane, he was in the right (3 lanes) just cruising along with other traffic. Then all of a sudden a light turns red and we are the only two at the light. I looked over at him as I pulled up and he did the same. He had a late model black GT with a hood scoop and the 5 spoke gun-metal Mustang rims. Then a car pulled up between us in the middle lane. I wasn't sure if he was going to go, and I'm sure he wasn't sure either (as I drive a station wagon Well, the light turns and I get on it just enough that I'm not doing some super launch, but still enough in case it's on. Well, when I hear him chirp, I know the fun has started. I run 1st and 2nd to about 60 and we are dead even. I let off as I'm turning left at the next light. As he notices my car slowing, he looks over and gives a wave. Pretty cool.

I'm bone stock, with a 30% UUC
Old 12-04-2001, 11:56 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Something about Mustang drivers...

...you can goad them into a race every time. I wonder how they feel knowing that a car with half the displacement will give it a run, and that with a $1000 chip, will destroy it.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Something about Mustang drivers...

Sounds like anyone can goad you into a race too! Stop generalizing about Mustang drivers. Sure your car is very sweet but for 1/2 of what you paid you can drive a modded Cobra that eats your lunch all day long.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:29 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Not really...

I didn't try to prevent him from passing after the bus, as I'm not into racing down neighborhood streets. This was only a very brief intersection thing. It seems like many Mustang drivers will take the bait when I feel like opening up the car a little bit. Haven't found that, even within the ricer crowd. Thus my 'generalization.' I know it doesn't cover the entire universe of Mustang drivers.

Next question - does that modded Cobra have the fit & finish of an Audi? Doubt it. That's why I'm a Euro owner and not an American owner. I'm not in it just for the speed. If so, I would have done the Cobra (or similar) thing and saved the money. I'm into the entire package, and IMO, it takes the extra $20k to get what I was looking for.

I made the comment because it seems like many Mustang (and Camaro and TA owners, too) buy their cars thinking that they're the fastest things on 4 wheels, and try to prove it at every opportunity. It's fun to keep them humble every once and a while.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Not really...

I understand the Cobra doesn't have the fit & finish the Audi does and I have a lot of respect for the S4 - I've owned 11 cars in 16 years - German, US and Jap so I know the quality difference. The point I wanted to make was... you said with a $1K chip you'd destroy it. Put $40K into a Cobra (30 for the car and 10 in mods) and you'd never be able to touch it.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"never" is a really long time ;-)
Old 12-04-2001, 01:20 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I wasn't referring to Cobras in that follow up post, but...

...your point is taken and respected. I just can't agree without proof, but who's checking. Cheers!

Quick Reply: Stuck it to another Mustang last night