S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Swaybar question for Ryan King - and any other suspension experts

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swaybar question for Ryan King - and any other suspension experts

I believe my KW V3 for RS4 coilovers have an average spring rate of about 800 in the front and about 550 in the rear. I still running the stock front and rear sway bars.

The car corners pretty flat but I have been wondering if I should try a stiffer sway bar in the rear. Transitioning from a turn on one side to to turn to the otherside results in only a small roll change but I guess it would be better if the car rolled even less

I have no complaints about understeer at all, the steering is razor sharp

What do you suggest

I live in Europe so is not so practical to get US made sway bars like Neuspeed, but I can easily get any german stuff
Old 06-29-2005, 07:12 AM

I would raise your rear spring rate tremendously....850 or 900 if your fronts are 550.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default well first I'd want to know for sure what my spring rates are...

...but either way, if you like the way the car corners as is, I wouldn't change anything.

But to get more specific...

You'll reduce understeer by adding a larger rear swaybar. I think they make a *slight* decrease in ride quality, but not substantial.

If you do a lot of hard low speed cornering (i.e. AutoX), you'll get a lot of inside rear wheel spin due to tire lift, which will trigger EDL which will trigger ABS which is not what you are really going for.

That being said, if you're mostly just cruising around, or when you are on track it's mostly high speed stuff, you'll likely not have much issue with the larger bar.

In non performance driving, you'll find that a larger rear sway bar will cuase wheel lift when making any sharp turn on a grade change (entering a driveway for example at a 90d angle). Larger bar, more lift. Since you're only going about 2 miles an hour, this isn't really a big deal, but know that is what the issue is.

To go back around full circle though, if you like the handling, leave it alone.

I would put a call into KW though and see if you can get a higher rear spring rate for the setup. I'd also confirm the rates of the springs in your kit.

Lastly, what are your current damper settings at (out of curiosity)?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The spring rates are what KW told me over the phone

The springs are progressive, so its a sort of average rate

Front shocks
small displacement compression - instructions recomended initial setting

rebound - instruction recommended initial setting 4 clicks = 1 turn, car bounced noticeably at 80+ mph
I now have the rebound set at 2 clicks for normal driving, 1 click to half a click for smooth roads and fast highways. The rebound is now remotely adjustable from the dash from 2 clicks to 1/2 a click. Post with pictures coming soon

Rear shocks
Small displacemnt compression is now 1 click softer than initial setting after I changed the tires from Michelin PS1 to PS2. One click softer brought back the rear seat ride quality I had with the PS1's, and is significantly better than stock shocks with PS1's. PS2 with stock shocks must be a bit teeth chattering in the back

Rear shock rebound is untouched from recommended initial setting

KW and not very encouraging about modifying / changing their standard specs. They tried their best to persuade me not to buy the RS4 coilovers for my S4 because it was not TUV approved.

Thanks for the comments, I think I will leave things alone, till I have a chance to ride in Verruckt's car to compare
Old 06-29-2005, 10:33 AM

Hmmm those spring rates sound pretty close to the Teins.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

They are very close aren't they !