S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tanoga install . . . check. (first impressions inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanoga install . . . check. (first impressions inside)

First, big thumbs up to Jim De Arras for the assist with the install. Jim, I owe you lunch and the beverage of your choice; name the place and time. Also, props to the wife for surprising me with the shifter. (She says I owe her too, but she knows she's got it good.)

The install. Removal of the stock unit is a breeze. Follow the instructions on RS4.org (on a cd-rom delivered with the Tanoga from Zev) and you've got it out. I highly recommend the T-handle hex allen tool in 6mm.

With snap-ring (circlip) pliers, installation of the short shifter into the stock assembly is also very easy. I used the lower circlip grove so I wouldn't have to cut the plastic collar under the leather boot for the shifter.

Now the hard part. But for the spacer washers, I imagine installation of the assembly back onto the shift rails would be pretty straight forward; the washers, however, make this quite a challenge (at least for me). Jim gave me some black "co-ax"? tape that is easily shaped into little donuts and becomes sticky when handled. That stuff really did the trick to hold the washers in place for my heavy-handed re-install of the assembly with those torx bit screws. I did find a third hand very helpful in re-inserting the two 6mm hex screws. Once everything was reattached, I had easy access to all six forward gears and could get into reverse easily. Total time, er-hum, about 2 hours, 15 minutes; it did take a while to find the co-ax tape for the washers.

Now to the shifter. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The rubbery/vague issues are gone, and MAN are the throws short. Jim has the first-gen UUC at 20% and the Tanoga almost makes Jim's feel stock. I have read that Tanoga amounts to about a 50% reduction in throw and, after having driven it, am not surprised by that figure. Shifts are much more precise than stock, with a bit of a notchy feel, but in a smooth way--not harsh.

To sum up, the install's not that tough and the shifter's great. I highly recommend the mod and getting a friend to help out with getting the unit back in.

Next, on to cat back exhaust (borla or milltek, hummm...)

ScottGo
2002 Santorin
Old 04-27-2002, 05:08 PM

Default You mean Coax-Seal ?

<ul><li><a href="http://www.wavehunter.com/coaxseal.htm">This stuff?</a></li></ul>
Old 04-27-2002, 05:53 PM

Borla!
Old 04-27-2002, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's the stuff.