S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Temperature icon on center display and loud beep when cold starting

Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature icon on center display and loud beep when cold starting

Something strange starting happening recently when the winter finally rolled into Central TX. When starting my car cold a temperature icon appears on the center display with a VERY loud extended audible beep. It goes away when the car starts to warm up. I'm getting no CELs. This is the first winter that this has happened. Any ideas?? Scanned for trouble codes and found none.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bikenut
Something strange starting happening recently when the winter finally rolled into Central TX. When starting my car cold a temperature icon appears on the center display with a VERY loud extended audible beep. It goes away when the car starts to warm up. I'm getting no CELs. This is the first winter that this has happened. Any ideas?? Scanned for trouble codes and found none.
That symbol would be your coolant level alarm.

This also did it to me when the winter rolled here, and it would go away once warmed up.

Before you start your car in the am, check your level! It might be low.
If it does not, start her up, then take a look at the level and see if it does go down.

For the alarm to go off, the coolant level has to be pretty low down in that expansion tank.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ANDYID, you were right on the money

Wow, I feel dumb. You were right, the coolant was really low in the tank. Surprised german engineering couldn't engineer a "low coolant" message instead of a symbol I topped it off and although its warmer now I think it solved the issue.

Thanks for the reply!!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No Problem!

Dont feel dumb!
When i first saw this weird looking thing on my dash, i was scrambling all over the NET to find what it meant! lol
Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bikenut
Wow, I feel dumb. You were right, the coolant was really low in the tank. Surprised german engineering couldn't engineer a "low coolant" message instead of a symbol I topped it off and although its warmer now I think it solved the issue.

Thanks for the reply!!
You probably have a leaky auxiliary water pump. It's under the intake manifold. The dealer will try to charge you $900 because they claim the intake manifold needs to come off. With the right tools (long needle nose pliers and hose clamp pliers - the type with a bike style cable), and the right parts (pump and both connecting hoses), it's a 2 hour job with no intake removal needed. One the other hand, if you are lucky, you may just have a leaky overflow tank.