S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Test Drive! and Has anybody seen a Hib-Red S4 yet? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-1999, 04:32 PM
MikeP

Default Test Drive! and Has anybody seen a Hib-Red S4 yet? (long)

Well I just got back from a 15 mile test drive. The salesman just threw me the keys and said have fun! They had decided to hold the Laser Red that arrived this morning for demo's. It already had 47 miles. Killer!!!

I currently own a early 99 Hib Red 1.8T Auto/Sport/Wett that I have grown to love. Luckly, I haven't been paying much attention to the fever for the S4 this past year until just the past two weeks as deliveries became imminent.

So, I haven't been driving a stick for about 3 years now and it took me a few minutes to get used to working a clutch!! My last stick was a GSR. The throws are a bit longer than what I recall in the GSR but they are not outrageous.

That said, I will 'order' a Tip unless one comes in sooner that matches my color/opt prefs. I'm to lasy to saw those gears all the time. In fact, I kept puhing my imaginary buttons on the steering wheel when I wanted to shift!! Can't wait to drive this car with a Tip.

Enough rambling, the car is fast! It makes my wett 1.8t feel like a beetle bug. Third gear at 35mph and just squeeeze the throttle and it takes off like a rocket! Unreal torque! Any time you apply the gas your head get pushed back into the headrest. I actually scared myself on several occasions and I never took it over 5k rpm!!!

I can't imagine why anybody would want to chip it, but I'm sure I will!!!

The car feels more solid and substantial than mine. It actually feels a little bigger but that just may be the way I had the seat adjusted.

I took the opportunity to park the S4 next to my 1.8 to compare height etc. The front might be a fraction higher but it may be more of a illusion due to the different front end config. The lights sit higher but the hood does not 'seem' any higher. But, it must be cuz it's got 17's and the gap is still pretty evident. The rear end is the same hgt. I wished had a tape measure with me.

Anybody know how easy it will be to keep the silver alcant clean. It seems pretty bright and one would assume that it would get dirty pretty quick.

Anyway, I'm sold. Anybody want a killer 1.8T?

Mike
99 1.8T Sport/Tip/Bose/Wett