S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

There's a NEW Sheriff in town....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2000, 08:43 PM
Steve Pitts

Default There's a NEW Sheriff in town....

I stumbled onto a Nov 5, 1999 review of the 2000 S4 by USA Today newspaper..

Just had to post it.. it'll give you a laugh or two...(reference to BMW)...

steve
00' S4 (Wett)

====
BMW has held the honor of selling the closest thing to a four-door sports car by virtue of its small 3-series machines.

There has come to be, however, a new sheriff in town: the 2000 Audi S4. It is a sporting version of the already agile Audi A4 small four-door sedan. Where the BMW 3-series cars make some non-sporty compromises for the sake of comfort and user-friendliness, the Audi S4 makes nearly none. It is a bare-chested, guns-blazing, aggressive powerhouse that handles corners as easily as straightaways, eats V-8 muscle cars for breakfast and does it all in lousy weather, thanks to excellent all-wheel drive that uppercase-averse Audi calls quattro.

S4 is a certified yee-hah-mobile, so much fun to drive hard that it's sure to get the inattentive into deep trouble faster than they can mutter "oops."

The six-speed manual transmission was, indeed, manual. Try speed-shifting from first into second and you grind gears like a rookie. Shove the lever any which way and notice the somewhat rubbery feel. The transmission is not for the crowd that likes a toggle-switch feel. Audi's six-speed is very secure in its identity as a hand-operated, mechanical device.

The ride was stiff, dealing out too much punishment for many rumps, but reassuring the rugged butts of the world that S4 is no pretender. Be serious or begone.

Seats are taut, tight-fitting, as befits a sports car. Well-bolstered to nail you into place as you discover how much more capable the car is at turning corners than you are at braving the resulting G-forces. If you haven't couch-potatoed your backside into dreadful proportions, the seats are comfortable. If, instead, you've taken on that look of, uh, prosperity, well, S4 can make you feel young again, but you have to deal with the thin thing yourself. S4 is, however, a car to diet for.

=====
Old 01-19-2000, 08:50 PM
MF

Yippeeiokiay,
Old 01-19-2000, 08:59 PM
rickp

Default I guess I'm responsible for this silliness......

I lured him from BMW!

Rick (The older, wiser (DR)Pitts........(grins))
Old 01-20-2000, 01:49 PM
tuan

Shhhhhh. Don't let everyone know.