S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Thinking of selling the S4...need advise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling the S4...need advise.

I have 30K miles on my '00 9/99 build and no problems with my S4 (except for 2nd gear crunches when cold, perfect after warmed up). My warranty expires this Septemeber. The thought of a $12,000 tranny or $7,000 turbo repair is very very scary. My car is stock and I am willing to keep it that way to avoid those kind of repair bills.

If I can't gamble having to do those kind of repair bills, should I get rid of her?

Does Audi offer the option to get an extended warranty after the original expires?

I was hoping to keep the car at least 5 years.

TIA
-Mike
Old 03-28-2002, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended warranty to 100k for something like $2k

May be worth it, unless you want a new car. You can also maybe trade in for a new S4, get the 50k/4yr deal and then again down the line go for the extended warranty.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have been researching extended warranties a lot. Here's some on my info:

This is the text from a long running thread about my research. It includes a couple of links to past threads. This may read a little cluttered, but it's a cut'n paste from several threads, and I pared out a bunch of junk. Bear with it:

OK. I got the contract packet from Extended Auto Warranty Corp.
The contract says this (among other things) that could be specific to mods:
"INELIGIBLE VEHICLES - Vehicles modified from the manufacturer's original specifications
EXCLUSIONS - Defects, damage, or deterioration due to normal use, wear and tear, exposure, misuse, alteration, negligence or accidents.
- Any wear or damage caused by failure to maintain the vehicle under the standards of the manufacturer."

The other thing I noticed on the contract was a $10,000 maximum payout.

For a comparison, I talked with Jim Ellis (Atlanta dealer) about extended warranties. Lee (service mgr) didn't raise any flags with the aftermarket company. I asked if they offered any
companies, and Jerry (another service mgr) said Fidelity and to talk with Audi sales. I talked with sales (name ???). Although they do not have an Audi extended warranty, they do recommend Fidelity, and he said Fidelity is the ONLY
plan they accept. I talked with service again, and Lee said aftermarket extended warranty plans are NO problem as long as they pay with a corporate credit card, which Ext. Auto Warr. Corp does, as do most I checked with.

Here's the Fidelity info:
If you are past 36,000 miles, then the car must be inspected. They have multiple plans, but the one as close to the OEM as possible is the Gold 3yr/36K.
The plan pricing for a 2000 S4 is:
$1436 ($250 ded)
$1541 ($100 ded)
$1606 ($50 ded)
no $0 ded option

I am going to Jim Ellis to read over their info about what's covered, max payout $$$, etc.

Basically, the Audi "recommended" plan is about 50% more (normalizing the years and adding for deductible costs):
Fidelity: $1606 ($50 ded), 3yr/36K ~ up to 86K miles
Ext. Auto Warr.: $1699 ($0 ded), 4yr/48K ~ up to 98K miles

Conclusion:
The aftermarket mod coverage question still exists. I don't think anybody expects a warranty to cover the aftermarket parts (though wouldn't that be slick), but what about covering turbos with a chip mod, or wheel bearings with a suspension and 18" wheel upgrade? The
contract doesn't say "the mod has to be proven to have caused the failure", only "INELIGIBLE VEHICLES - Vehicles modified from the manufacturer's original specifications"

Dylan

http://www.extendedautowarrantycorp.com/

Check this link. I decided on Extended Auto Warranty Corp.
$1699 for 4yr/48K miles above the 50,000 mile OEM warranty. $0 deductible. That's a great deal!

https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/733503.phtml

For those keeping their car after 50,000 miles and nervous about the $8000 hit if the turbos go.

https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/657403.phtml
Old 03-28-2002, 06:56 AM
Elder Member

Gotta watch for no-turbo clauses. Some do cover turbos, most don't.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Look thru my post. I have a lot of them listed in the link closest to the bottom.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i just returned from an audi dealership (which shall remain anonymous)

i spoke to the owner and told him that i will be purchasing the aftermarket extended warranty that his dealership offers. i mentioned that i was thinking about chipping the car after the factory warranty expires and asked him if his facility would have a problem putting in a claim with the aftermarket company. his reply was,"knock on his door prior to having the service department write up the car."
Old 03-28-2002, 08:33 AM

Default Re: i just returned from an audi dealership (which shall remain anonymous)

Heh mind naming the dealership in an email to me?

I'm also on LI...

Thanks
Old 03-28-2002, 09:58 AM

Default Sad to see this car become such an Albatross after warranty expires...

I remember buying used Toyota's and Honda's with as much as 90K miles on them without a worry. I'm pretty much in the same boat, since my 2K runs out of warranty in September as well.

I wonder if the Germans will ever reach the quality of the Japanese??? They certainly are better at the design phase.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My first car was a '81 Honda Civic. I put plenty of repair money into that thing.

just in $500 chunks. My mom had a '84 Civic. Same thing.

I think the biggest fear of S4 folks is a BIG repair like the turbos or tranny. Most folks don't have $8K-10K to drop for a repair.

Is the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).
The more complicated and engine and various gizmos, the more things there are to break. If you bought an Audi with a simple engine with few gizmos, it would likely be more reliable than your twin turbo V6 with every technological gadget known to man shoved in the engine bay. Audi doesn't make any of those, and for good reason. Audi drivers don't want those. Those that do buy Hondas and Camrys.

Now if Honda made a twin turbo V6 as nice and stout as the S4, and it was totally reliable, then that's a different story.
How do the Toyota SupraTTs do? Are they bulletproof? They may be; I don't know. Even if they were bulletproof, I wouldn't get one, because I don't like the designs.
Reliability is only one parameter or car ownership.

If I can pay $1700 for the insurance over the next 3-4 years to cover that parameter, then I say it's money well spent. I know I paid well over that amount on repairs to my '81 Civic Wagon.

I know you weren't debating and I'm not getting on to you, but at times, I think we all need to step back and take a good breath. Reading this forum makes you paranoid. A huge % of the folks on here mod their cars heavily and thus have more problems. Also, folks come on here to vent the car problems they have, not to say how great the car is running today (though that happens too sometimes). The perception that the cars are unreliable is not as crisp once you compare all the S4 owners, not just the ones on this board.

Do I feel Audis are less reliable than Hondas or Toyotas? Yes. Have my experiences shown that? No. Does that make me want a Honda or Toyota more? Definately not! I love the S, and will still love her in 2,000 miles when she's over the 50,000 miles mark. I sat in a brand new Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Maxima over the weekend. I only came to appreciate my S4 more.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:36 AM

Default The Supra (and 300ZX for that matter) is pretty stout...

They're certainly able to go 100K plus miles without major heartburn. You also don't hear of many people looking into extended warrantys for those cars.

My list so far:
Bought '89 Civic Si with 85K on it and it got stolen at 120K miles...did nothing except new tires.

Bought '89 CRX with 90K miles on it and drove it to 150K with CV joint repair, timing belt, brakes, and tires.

Bought (and still have) '91 MR2 purchased at 60K and it is at 160K now. Only things major have been brakes, alternator, radiator, and timing belt - same turbo, clutch, etc.

Maybe I have been lucky, but I don't have the same tough as nails feeling with the S4. I am cetainly kinder to it than my previous cars...of course that may be because it cost at least twice as much as my other rides.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling the S4...need advise.