S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Thoughts....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-1999, 09:24 AM
KJK

Default Thoughts....

Have been checking out this board as well as BMW boards and have noticed an interesting trend. It sounds as if the S4 is definitely a bit more refined and quiet than the current M3. The next generation M3, like the E46, is more refined than its predecessor--as the market seems to be dictating. Funny thing is, the long term M enthusiast types seem to want something more raw and closer to the tradition started by the E30 M3, a racecar toned down a bit for the street. There really is a feeling that true M cars are no more and that the M5 and next M3 are too heavy and not really true to the tradition of //M.

I think there definitely seems to be a small niche out there that would buy "lightweight" or near race version of an S4 or M car. It would be cool if Audi and/or BMW recognized this and built special low volume models that catered to these people--which is what Motorsport was about originally. Lighter, bigger brakes, taughter suspensions, etc. Although these new cars are great, I still would love to sock away $9k when my wife isn't looking and buy an old E30 M3 to autocross and track the crap out of.

I don't really fault the companies for trying to sell cars but you have to admit it is cool when a company builds and sells a certain number of cars only so it can race in a certain class, and we get the opportunity to buy one. I just wonder if that will ever happen again.

KJK 91 M5

P.S. Despite the above, I would love an RS4 (de-tuned for the U.S. I am sure) for my wife's next car.:-)
Old 09-24-1999, 09:30 AM
Steve S.

Default Just tell the wife you are getting an Avant...(don't tell her its a RS4 Avant)

BTW, I am seriously considering an E30 M3 for a track car. :-)

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 09-24-1999, 09:44 AM
KJK

Default Re: Just tell the wife you are getting an Avant...(don't tell her its a RS4 Avant)

Steve, I am going nuts. I have seen people post that they bought them recently for $7k-$9k with approx. 100k miles or so. It would be best if you could find one that alreadys has coilovers, etc. and a 225 or 245hp engine. Do you get Roundel? That would be a good place to look.

When my wife asks me about the emblem I could say you get that when you order leather and the CD changer.