S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Totally confused on S4 Avant suspension upgrade..

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally confused on S4 Avant suspension upgrade..

After days of thread reading I'm no better off with what I need. Presently I own a NSX as my good weather vehicle,I lease a '01 S4 avant 6-spd that has a Giac chip,neuspeed sway bar,exhaust. I hate to go for the $1500 on coilovers especially since many complain that they need to be constantly adjusted.Not looking for a truck ride, especially since use the S4Avant for more than 2 passengers.

I'm considering:
1. MTM springs only, Eilbach springs only,etc
2. Intrax/koni
3. H/R/ Bilstein
4. Coilovers, H&R,etc
5. ?

Looking for better handling since I've added the chip,cannot enjoy the power, but need to use on the New Eng roads . Coilovers seem to have too many variables, with my ADD personality, I'll be spending all my time varying height,etc.
Help! Need to decide ASAP..
Thanks, DennisD
Old 03-25-2002, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
Default From user reviews on fixed-height setups that I've read, your best bet is probably ...

... the Abt Full kit. Spring rates are slightly higher than stock, but not as high as the MTM/Eibach setup, and the dampers are valved to match. I've not seen a definitive answer on ride height, but Strat claims it is not nearly as aggressive as the MTM Full kit (which I have on my Avant).

Another highly regarded fixed-height system is the STaSIS kit. However, both the Abt Full & STaSIS setups are as expensive as, if not more than, H&R coilovers ... which also get resounding praise. And coilovers needn't be a constant project; once you fine tune them to your liking, they can be just as set-and-forget as a fixed height system ... but with the added ability to adjust them in the future should the need arise.

Suspension setup is soooooo subjective, it really comes down to personal preference. The only way you'll be 100% sure of whay *you* want is to drive different setups and see for yourself what the feel like, look like, and offer in terms of handling/performance improvement.

Regardless of what you choose, I highly recommend installing shocks matched to your spring of choice should you go the fixed-height route. Many will say their aftermarket springs work fine with the stock shocks, and I know MTM is a recommended choice for this application, but you will not see optimal performance going this route. Plus, you'll ultimately incur greater expense should you install shocks later, since you'll pay for a second install and alignment.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think the shocks are more important than the springs...

As for going with a fixed height setup over coilovers, I'd recommend the Stasis Fixed Height with Koni shocks (Stasis Street Sport kit).

The amount of time Stasis has spent working on the shock setup for the Koni's is well worth the price (IMO).

For the streetable ride, a 500# Front / 550# Rear or somewhere near there should be good for the spring rates.

FYI, I run the Stasis coilovers (Track Sport kit), and think it is the best suspension option available for the S4.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:00 AM

Default I have no complaints with my Abt full , BBS CH 8.5 W S03 225/40/18 no rubbing

Rides nice and handles great.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:25 AM

Default I have an 01 Avant w/ H&R/ Billstein like them a lot!

I live in the Boston area if you would like to meet up and take alook and go for a cruise. Drop me an email if you are interested.

For the money, I don't think you can beat this setup.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I own an Avant and i'm happy with my setup...

I was in the same position as you when I was shopping for suspension. You basically have two choices (you knew that) fixed height or adjustable. You know better than anyone here what fits your need on this one. But it helps to consider some things: If you get the fixed-height suspension -- what if the ride height after install is too low? Dont forget, after a while, the suspension components settle a bit but not much. Will you be upgrading to bigger wheels (18") and tires?

I went with H&R Avant specific Street coilovers and happy with my setup. I usually have one or two passengers on the car and had no issues with my current ride height.