S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

I have a 2000 audi s4 auto/tiptronic
My auto works ok, but feels jerky at times. The previous owner told me that the TCM (transmission control module) doesnt work, hence why i cant use tiptronic. I really would like it to work.
He also told me there is a tranny chip to make it more smooth, but I dont think its working.
Anyways, i called audi and they told me the part number for the tcm is 8D0927156DR. I found one on ebay that is same number but with BS instead of DR at the end. I asked the audi dealer and he told me that it should work, but he said its the oldest one of the tcms that the s4 used. He told me that audi moved from BS to DL to DR.

So my question is, what would you guys suggest I do? I feel like i drive a slow s4 with bad gas mileage. Im stage 2+ for goodness sake, and a saab 93 with tiptronic (stock) is keeping up with me. But only when in tiptronic mode. In regular auto, I dusted him.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by R0GUE
I have a 2000 audi s4 auto/tiptronic
My auto works ok, but feels jerky at times. The previous owner told me that the TCM (transmission control module) doesnt work, hence why i cant use tiptronic. I really would like it to work.
He also told me there is a tranny chip to make it more smooth, but I dont think its working.
Anyways, i called audi and they told me the part number for the tcm is 8D0927156DR. I found one on ebay that is same number but with BS instead of DR at the end. I asked the audi dealer and he told me that it should work, but he said its the oldest one of the tcms that the s4 used. He told me that audi moved from BS to DL to DR.

So my question is, what would you guys suggest I do? I feel like i drive a slow s4 with bad gas mileage. Im stage 2+ for goodness sake, and a saab 93 with tiptronic (stock) is keeping up with me. But only when in tiptronic mode. In regular auto, I dusted him.
I think if the Tcm were bad the whole car would work. A bad Tcm would probably light up all the gear prnd432. Got a vagcom? Scan the tranny for codes. And then scan the engine for codes. I've also read other threads that cause the tip to not work. I will try and find it.
But also do a battery disconnect that should reset the ecu and tcm
Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rohit13
I think if the Tcm were bad the whole car would work. A bad Tcm would probably light up all the gear prnd432. Got a vagcom? Scan the tranny for codes. And then scan the engine for codes. I've also read other threads that cause the tip to not work. I will try and find it.
But also do a battery disconnect that should reset the ecu and tcm
Also it shouldn't affect your chipped ecu after a battery disconnect.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well something is not letting me use tiptronic unless there is something else required to turn it on besides moving it the right. I will do a battery disconnect. How many minutes do i need to disconnect it for?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

now is vag com similar to an obd2 reader or what is it? I know i have a check engine light on for the gutted cats but there was nothing in there about the tranny
Old 04-01-2012, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

now is vag com similar to an obd2 reader or what is it? I know i have a check engine light on for the gutted cats but there was nothing in there about the tranny
Yes a regular odb will not read the transmission for codes while a vagcom will. Buy vagcom cables from eBay I got mine for 10 bucks. The software is free. Best 10 bucks I spent on my car.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well something is not letting me use tiptronic unless there is something else required to turn it on besides moving it the right. I will do a battery disconnect. How many minutes do i need to disconnect it for?
Let it be disconnected for at least an hour. And when you plug the terminals back in make sure you do the throttle body alignment o your car will run like ish. Basically turn the key to on but don't start. Wait for the ping sound to disappear and turn off and again wait for ping to disappear and start. Basically leave the key on ON position for a min. Before starting it.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will try this today. I also bought a vag com cable. should be here by end of the week or early next week. will post any codes i find.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nothing happened. There was also no ping. All it did was reset my time and stats. Car drives the same.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

X2 on the battery i replaced it yesterday and exactly the same thing happened

Quick Reply: Transmission