S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issues

Ok, my girlfriend bought an S4 about 3 weeks ago. Previous owner put over $7k into a "Level 10" transmission upgrade. We noticed within a week that the transmission was acting up. Now when going from a dead stop the transmission is not engaging. I noticed that the gear indicator is reversed in color (black on red vs. red on black) *see below. When going trough the shifter I can feel it engaging, but still won't go. I've had it pop into gear w/ a violent lurch. If I put it in park and remove the key and reinsert the gear indicator returns to normal, still not in gear. Eventually after working through the shift **** positions it will go into gear. Obviously threw a CEL as seen in the pic. I will scan tonight and post the codes. I'm a noob to the S4 but not to the Tiptronic (2004 Touareg no problems). I've done some searching, but having difficulty finding the same situation.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read this in another thread while search for answers:

"Level10 are liars and scam artists. Several years ago, I spent a considerable amount of money for a gaggle of performance modifications. The modifications they provided for $5,500 included seven Home Depot washers used to shim the valve body actuator spring, along with a trimmed stator and with bent fins in the torque converter. (Mind you, the transmission was functioning without issue when it was sent to them.) They also managed to hose the pump seal, and I had to send the unit back to them again. I had paid for a full performance rebuild which should have included several "real" modifications.

The problem you describe may be the valve body, but you may find that there is a clutch pack in need of replacement. When the problem exhibits itself, and you add throttle, do you see RPMs climb without a speed increase? This would indicate a clutch or clutches slipping.

A fluid and filter change is an excellent first step. I recommend that you call Sam at 517 Transmission for diagnosis. He has been extraordinarily forthcoming with me, and has been good enough to provide photographic documentation of everything he has done to my transmission, and based on the numbers that jjm82 provided, he's much less expensive as well.

517 Transmission
Sam Ismail (973) 823-6320

IPT Transmission also sells rebuild kits, if you are interested in doing the work yourself.

Good luck. "

NOT GOOD.