S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

update on my "what the hell is that sound" quest...wastegate question enclosed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on my "what the hell is that sound" quest...wastegate question enclosed...

upon further investigation (basically rolling down the windows and driving around the parking garage with my head out the window), it seems that this "click/clunk" sound is coming from the right-front area under the car. My hypotheses are: 1) suspension/drivetrain component of the passenger-front wheel 2) passenger-side turbo/wastegate sound?

The only reason I mention the possibility of the turbo/wastegate is that is is kind of a "pop/click" sound that occurs only when I accelerate mildly or am lifting off the throttle (most noticeable in second gear). So I am in boost, but no more than 5 psi according to my gauge. This is on a stock ecu. Of course, it could be that the gobs of torque the S4 puts out is causing an injured suspension/drivetrain part to hit something as the inertia of instantaneous forward momentum unsettles it. I don't think it is suspension however as there is no noise when going over bumpy roads/speedbumps.

I'll take a look at the suspension components tonight after work (I need to rotate my tires anyway).

Does anyone have any experince or knowledge of popping/clicking wastegates or wastegates going bad? (sounds like a jerry springer show "Wastegates gone bad") Is there an easy way to get a look at them with the use of ramps?

Any ideas about drivetrain components?

The search for an answer continues...
Old 12-05-2001, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sounds like you found a noise that my S4 doesn't make. (crosses fingers).

good luck with your hunt