S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Updated Neuspeed rear sway bar brackets....

Old 10-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated Neuspeed rear sway bar brackets....

Those of you who got the updated brackets, how did you go about getting them? How much did they cost? Or were they free? Thanks.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:59 PM

Default .

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1801569.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1801569.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 10-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Elder Member

Old 10-27-2004, 02:07 PM

ixnay
Old 10-27-2004, 02:12 PM

Default "Updated" brackets? Were they updated in the last 2 yrs?

I've had my 19mm on for a bit over 2 yrs. Recently switched from soft to firm and don't want to find out the hard way that I have the old ones.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you would know..the new ones bolt up to the subframe and are a PIA
Old 10-27-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Neuspeed letter

Automotive NEUMANN
Performance DISTRIBUTING
Systems, Inc.â â

TO: NEUSPEED CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE THE 19MM OR 22MM REAR SWAY BAR ON THEIR A4 QUATTRO

DATE: 9/25/01

First, I apologize for this standardized reply. We've sold nearly 600 rear 19mm. and 22mm. sway bars over the past three years, so this MS Word document is going out to a lot of people.

Our original subframe support brackets (which should be installed on your car right now) exceed the thickness of the factory subframe, effectively increasing strength of the subframe at its critical points. So we were very surprised to hear from a customer earlier this summer who had managed to crack both the subframe AND the support bracket after 2-1/2 years and 40,000 miles of track &amp; street driving. Our engineering department immediately went to work on a revised support bracket design and we are happy to offer these brackets to you at no charge.

I expect that these brackets should be ready to ship within 4 weeks. In the mean time, I am starting a mailing list and need the following information from you to add your name to the list:
(1) A faxed copy of your original proof-of-purchase. Please fax this document to 805-388-0030,
and address you fax to my attention.
(2) Your current mileage on your vehicle, and the estimated mileage on your car when you
originally installed the rear sway bar and brackets.
(3) Your current shipping address, and a daytime phone number we can reach you at if we have
any questions.

Answers to Commonly Asked Questions

I've driven xx,xxx miles on the bar now. Am I in danger of fracturing the rear subframe?
Out of nearly 600 units sold, we've encounter 9 customers to date that have broken their rear subframe. That's roughly a 1.5% occurrence rate, and includes customers that encountered problems prior to the availability of the support brackets. However, statistics are no comfort if you were one of those 9 people. As a result, I recommend that you inspect your car immediately. If you notice any small fractures beginning to form on the subframe or on the support brackets, remove the rear sway bar and wait for the new replacement brackets before reinstalling.

How can I tell if I have the revised brackets or not?
We have not shipped out the revised brackets yet, so your car by default has the original brackets. However, if you paid a mechanic to install the rear sway bar on your car, now is a good time to look under your car to make sure that they actually installed the support brackets.
I have actually heard of mechanics discarding the brackets because they didn't think they were necessary!

Were there any other common factors among the 9 cars that experienced a subframe fracture?
Unfortunately, no, and that makes our failure analysis much more complicated because we have a small sample group, and no common thread linking them together. This seems to indicate that some factory subframes are simply stronger or weaker than others.

I can't find my original proof of purchase. (or) I'm not the original purchaser. What should I do?
Remove your rear sway bar from your vehicle temporarily and send me your original subframe support brackets. I will accept these in lieu of a purchase receipt. DO NOT leave the bar on the car and simply remove the support brackets for obvious reasons.

What happens if my rear subframe cracks?
Please understand that NEUSPEED does not offer any sort of "no crack" guarantee. We are dealing primarily with the failure of an Audi factory part, and the low occurrence rate still indicates that the use of our rear bar does not automatically equate to a rear subframe failure.

Each customer's situation is handled individually. As the leading manufacturer of Audi and Volkswagen high performance parts in the United States, we are committed to helping our customers whenever possible. However, if you are not prepared to deal with the possibility that your subframe may crack, and that you may be responsible for a portion of the repair expense, then remove the bar from your car right away, wait for the revised support brackets, and then sell the entire package to someone else with a copy of this warning.

How do I reach your company if I need further assistance?
We are open Monday through Thursday from 7am to 5pm PST, and Friday from 8am to 5pm PST. Our phone number is 805-388-7171. Our fax number is 805-388-0030. My direct email address is greg@neuspeed.com. Our engineering/tech department email address is info@neuspeed.com. And, our mailing address is 3300 Corte Malpaso, Camarillo, California, 93012.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:39 PM

Thanks! Bought mine in mid 2002.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:40 PM

Yup, PITA to reach way up there to bolt in the upper mounting points.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:58 PM

If possible can someone just take a picture of the old or new clamps so we can compare? Please?? TIA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Updated Neuspeed rear sway bar brackets....