S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

VAG-COM cable, misfire issues, abs and esp light on

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAG-COM cable, misfire issues, abs and esp light on

Hello, so I have recently begun working on a 2001 Audi S4 I purchased last year as a project. I feel there may be a lot more involved with this project than I originally anticipated, but I am confident with patience and time I can learn what I need to work through the individual issues.

My first question is can I get away with using a VAG-COM 11.11 cable and software copy like this?

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Hex...FQuEaQodc_8Njg

Reason being,within the last month I have bought a truck and had a baby, and don't really want to spend $200 right now if not completely necessary. I was hoping this cheaper alternative could allow me to identify the source of multiple issues I'm experiencing.

So first off, I am receiving a flash CEL whenever I go WOT, along with stuttering usually only in 2nd gear and up. It sometimes does it in 1st gear as well. My original thought is potentially a boost leak, and I have ordered the components to do a pressure test, but was curious if anyone else might have insight? Also, my ABS and the triangle with a circle around it, both of those lights have come on, then go off... I have done some reading saying this could be tied into the MAF somehow? I was thinking a bad MAF could also cause a misfire, so maybe the two are linked? I also read a bit about the ABS module and potential dirty/bad wheel speed sensors. It's honestly hrd for me to pick the best place to start, so I figured I need to have at least SOME form of diagnostic software, so I could start monitoring things and hopefully eliminate issues and narrow it down a bit. I appreciate any feedback and advice, I would like to just get the Ross-tech eventually, I'd just rather not spend $200 right now if I don't really HAVE to. Any and all advice and feedback welcome, and thank you.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The vag cable will probably work. I'll bet you have a bad spark coil(s), which will throw a misfire code. VCDS will pinpoint this and perhaps the knockoff will, too. With VCDS you can log misfires for all cylinders while on a test drive. Bad coils will be obvious.

Vacuum/boost leaks are also probable and will cause stuttering, but usually not a blinking CEL. Boost leak tester will test turbo plumbing, BPV's and throttle boo,t but will not test downstream from throttle plate. The evap system check valves and the f-hose and its check valve to spider hose could have failed and are behind throttle plate.