S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Wanted to share this in hopes it will be beneficial

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted to share this in hopes it will be beneficial

Monday night at ~10pm I heard the screech of tires followed by a loud crash and then the sound of what I could only assume was a car flipping down the road. I was at my girlfriends hanging outside talking with a neighbor when this happened. We couldn't see anything but we knew what had happened and knew it was bad so I immediately called 911. My girlfriend lives in a suburban neighborhood just off a heavily traveled country road outside of Charlotte and her place is within sight of the road but the accident wasn't visible from where we were.

We jumped in another neighbors' car and drove to the scene. What we saw was worse than I expected. The police, firemen and medics hadn't arrived yet but many people had already done exactly what we did. There must have been 20 or more people there already - some I think friends and relatives of one of the drivers as several of them were extremely distraught. We were all in disbelief at what we saw.

What we saw, as best as I could tell was the front clip from a late model Honda Civic. It had obviously tumbled down the street for approximately a city block. The back half of the car was hidden up in some trees off the side of the road. Broken glass and twisted metal littered the road between where the front clip came to rest and the car it collided with up the road. The driver of the car was thrown to the opposite side of the road in a ditch. He was alive at that point but later died. He was likely crushed repeatedly as the front clip tumbled down the road. The driver's seat was hanging from the car and there wasn't anything left surrounding the driver's area other than the crushed windscreen and dash area.

I went up to the other car which looked to be in very good shape all things considered. The two people in that car were hurt but conscious although they did have to be cut from the car.

We've all seen pictures of things like this linked from forums like this one but I have to tell you it's pretty damn different being there in person.

What apparently happened was a teenager (the driver of the Honda Civic) was speeding and attempting to pass a car while approaching a blind hill. When he crested the hill he saw the other car and attempted to swerve back to his side of the road. I suspect the other car hit him near the driver's door and sheared off the rear end.

I've done plenty of stupid things behind the wheel, especially when I was younger but I was a lot luckier than this kid. Our S4's are pretty safe cars but I don't think any safety device would've saved this kid's life. And while it was obviously his fault something like this could happen to one of us through the careless acts of another or a brief stupid move of our own.

Everyone, please be careful out there and enjoy your S4's as safely as you can. We have some powerful machines and we can get into trouble a lot quicker than a Civic can.

Sorry for relaying such a terrible story but it seemed important to retell it. I'm only getting around to posting this now because this happened the night before my girlfriend and I were taking a trip to the beach. Not the kind of thing you want to see hours before taking a road trip.

Take care,
Will
Old 04-05-2007, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

brutal, i saw a head on collision happen in HS.was pretty horrifying. Lots of blood, teeth..etc.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It never hurts us to be humbled once in a while. Your story might make us all think a bit next time

we get behind the wheel.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:12 PM

Its all different in person, im a whole dif driver after my crash,reality check.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Uki
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A few years ago in CT I watched an STI doing about 55-60mph slam head on into a Yukon XL...

that was in a turning lane at a light. It is such a incredibly horrible sound, let alone watch right in front of you. The Yukon got pushed about 6-8' back from the line, the airbags didn't deploy in it, but a few suffered concussions. The STI on the other hand, was seriously mangled but all were able to get out of the car under their own power. They were very lucky to be alive, though one or two had broken bones. It was quite a humbling sight, needless to say I put a little more effort into being careful with what I'm doing in the S.