S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Warning for the chipped ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning for the chipped ...

I thought I'd share my current dillemma with you guys for the benefit of those that are also chipped. My GTI 1.8T is chipped & my tuner called me on Monday because he's got a newer version of the software.

He says it gives a bit more power high up, runs the mixture a bit leaner & controls the wastgate a bit better & is good for about 8hp more. I took the GTI in & he changed the software. In the evening I went to the mall & when I returned to the car it didn't want to start. It flashed "Immobiliser activated" on the OBC.

I called the tuner & he came out with a standard ECU box from one of the cars he had in his shop. As soon as he put that it the car started. He went back to his shop & tried my ECU box in 2 other GTI's & it did exactly the same thing. Obviously, when he changed the software he somehow affected the immobiliser function in the ECU & he couldn't rectify it.

The next morning he called me to say that he needs the loan ECU as it belongs to a customer's car. He lent me an ECU from an Audi A3 1.8T which he modified to work in my car. He asked me to call Volkswagen & order a new ECU under warranty because of a faulty immobiliser. I called the service manager at my Volkswagen/Audi dealer, who is also a personal friend of mine.

I explained the situation to him. He said that Volkswagen/Audi have clamped down a lot on warranty claims because of abuse of the system. The part costs $1500 over here & he can only authorise parts up to $1000. Even the area manager can't authorise parts over $1000. Authorisation would have to come from the factory after the have inspected the part. He says that if they suspect that anything has been tampered with in the ECU box they would refuse to pay & would void the warranty (the car is 9 months old).

So, the situation I'm in right now is that I am waiting for my tuner to put the standard chip back on & clean up all traces of his work. If, after inspecting it, VW pick up that the chip has been altered, I will have to pay for the new ECU box myself & lose my 3 year warranty. I know I can probably hold my tuner liable & make him pay but that would necessitate a legal battle for which I don't have the time or resources.

Anyway, I vow never to modify a car ever again. If its not fast enough stock, then I'll buy a faster stock car & have the peace of mind knowing that anything that breaks will be fixed for free.

P.S. Have any of you guys had a similar problem & can offer some advice?
Old 10-11-2000, 01:28 AM

I'm considering retirement.......
Old 10-11-2000, 03:19 AM

Default Sorry, but the ECU cannot be put back to absolute stock where Audi cannot tell it's been modified.

Any PCB rework can be detected with a (slightly) trained eye. Hand soldering never looks the same as automated re-flow.
Old 10-11-2000, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

can i get an AAAAMMMEEEENNN!
Old 10-11-2000, 04:42 AM

Default I thought as much

I guess I'll have to get my tuner to foot the bill.
Old 10-11-2000, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Damn it.....just when I was considering the MTM chip.
Old 10-11-2000, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Warning for the chipped ...

"If its not fast enough stock, then I'll buy a faster stock
car & have the peace of mind knowing that anything that breaks will be fixed for free."

This statement above is why I bought th S instead of the other cars I was looking at. I agree with it more than I want to......I can't think of anything out there that I would change in some way.......I guess I will be chipless. Maybe?

Good luck 321!
Old 10-11-2000, 05:46 AM

How about simply buying a spare modified ECU from the beginning ?!?!?
Old 10-11-2000, 05:48 AM

Default i'ld hold your "tuner" to getting you an ECU...

by your story, the ECU worked fine with the v1 S/W (you don't say who's).
it was DIRECTLY after you had the 'upgrade' done that it failed. the "symtom" might be an error from the ECU, but testing in other cars clearly shows the ECU failed, AFTER this guy took it apart to upgrade s/w. (was the s/w upgrade a new chip installed, or a reprogramming?... that shouldn't matter to your case.)
i would hold the "tuner" to fixxing something that wasn't broke untill he (called you to come in for an) upgrade!
if your VW warrenty wouldn't pay for something that has been messed with by someone else, why should you?
w
Old 10-11-2000, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

most people who are chipped have, in fact, not had any problems

Quick Reply: Warning for the chipped ...