S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Warranty claim, STFA, would appreciate any additional advice (TIA)...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty claim, STFA, would appreciate any additional advice (TIA)...

recently took in car for 50K service (CPO car)... dealer found hookups for amp/sub or something that had been installed by previous owner (didnt know at time of purchase, wires were greatly concealed)

therefore, my rear speaker couldnt be replaced under warranty, HOWEVER, service director said he would work w/me to get this resolved (as he did beleive i bought car in good faith and didnt make the modification, which i didn't)

From similar experiences dealing w/AOA, would you just call them or write formal letters?

thanks for any advice... i guess it could be much worse (like finding out my car was chipped)

regards, adam

PS, MAG (columbus, OH) did a first rate job on car otherwise
Old 03-07-2005, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did the dealership that you bought the car from certify it themselves?.....

And, is this the same dealership you're trying to get service from?

If so, it is their job to check it and determine whether it can be certified. If they missed it, that's their problem. You are not responsible for puling up the carpets to see if the wiring is stock. They should stand behind it.

(FWIW, I know someone who was sold a certified car that was chipped - turbos blew. Dealer found the chip - the turbos were still replaced under the certified warranty. The customer let them know in the nicest way that AOA may not be too happy to know they are certifying chipped cars.)
Old 03-07-2005, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good point, exactly what i thought (unfortunatley, i got it from a differnt dealer)

service advisor sounded positive about it.... we'll see how it pans out
Old 03-07-2005, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Once it's certified it's certified. Don't let them tell you otherwise.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Exactly, to me it's the principle of it, even if this cost is extremely minor compared to

other things... i paid a premium to get it certified
Old 03-07-2005, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't let it "pan out" - I'd call the service dept back and speak with the guy you're dealing..

with.

Tell him in the nicest way possible that the only reason you bought the car for a premium price was to get a warranty. AOA has gotten rediculous in their warranty denials on the S4 and people need to stop rolling over and paying for little things - the little stuff ads up.

What happens if they find other things when your turbos explode.

If you get no where, I'd call AOA and complain that your "certified" car is not really certified.

Explain it's not your problem that the certifying dealership missed it.

Also tell them you expect to be re-imbursed for $$ you spent fixing a problem that should have been covered.

If that doesn't work, explain nicely that you'd be happy to take your money back for the car and go buy a BMW.

This stuff works and it should. You are being royally screwed.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, i went in and spoke w/him on sat, said i had to call AOA first...

i'm not paying any $$$ yet to get this fixed, i'm going to call AOA immediatley.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the single most important thing here is that you get higher ups involved early on.......

and document who you spoke to, when and why.

You have NO idea what else will be found over the term of the CPO warranty.

If you wanted a car without a warranty, you would have looked for a car without a warranty.

Now, how would the dealership know the wiring was messed with? I have no clue. I'm sure they don't check all the wiring as part of the certification process but that doesn't remove their responsibility to fix a broken speaker.

I still think that to certify a car they simply wash it, stand back, look at it, smile, have a smoke and tap it on the sunroof with a magic wand while chanting, "You are now certified." Then maybe, depending on their mood, they stick their thumbs up their asses for 3.4 minutes.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default JasonS4: HAHA, very right about the magic wand. . . . (question)

when i took out the cd changer and installed the blitzsafe ipod adaptor, bundled up was a handfull or wiring for an amp/sub or some sort of aftermarket equitment

obviously, it was concealed by someone - - i'm thinking about even telling AOA: look guys, a dealer inproperly certified this car. based on how i was handled during my service, my ENTIRE audio system warranty would be voided if i went out and hooked up subs/amps/other stuff...

i'm wondering if i may have a case to have all of the speakers replaced since someone did something to void the warranty?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Keep calling AoA until you find someone who agrees with you. Then...

put that person in touch with the dealer service manager and get things taken care of. The legal issues involved are tough, and you'd have to prove that you didn't do the wiring mod. So better to deal with it internally.

What does this all mean? I agree with AdamS4. Make yourself heard by the highest-up person possible at AoA, and then get them to call the dealer ASAP. Keeping the pressure on is most important. If you make life difficult for the dealer, they'll cave.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Warranty claim, STFA, would appreciate any additional advice (TIA)...