S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

well just blew up my mother f'n tranny details inside suggestions needed HELP I AM CURSED

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well just blew up my mother f'n tranny details inside suggestions needed HELP I AM CURSED

so i was driving down the road and decided to slow down and run it through the gears car was warm both oil and water temp were well of the pegs. So i slowed to a slow role and wacked it in first gear i went to shift into second semi aggresivley and it did not go into gear so i made sure the clutch was pushed all the way in and tried again this time just a grinding noise. I stopped the car and the car was stuck in second gear i pushed it out of gear and into neutral but now i am not able to get into 1st 2nd or reverse. all other gears are absolutley fine just the position of the shift lever is off a little from were it used to be in a specific gear the are all shifted to the right. I took the shift boot off and the foam plate to make sure the 6mm allen bolts were tight and in place this was piggies suggestion. we decided that they were in place. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what may be wrong and if it is a bad tranny what to do rebuild or go new. Thanks
Hansen
Old 10-29-2004, 12:08 PM

if the shifter is off from what it usually is then its probably needs to be adjusted?..
Old 10-29-2004, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i looked at those adjustments and the have marker lines around them....

from last time the clutch was installed so the adjustment seems okay and i can still get the car into all gears but first second and reverse. however i drove the car about 5 miles in the other gears to get it to a safe place and there were no strange noises so i hope it is not destroyed
Old 10-29-2004, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That happened to me and dealer said I "melted my clutch"...

assuming to mean I really did some damage to it somehow .. I dont remember anything specific but all of the suddent I couldn't get into 1st or 2nd without pushing extremely hard on the stick, and I couldn't get into reverse at all. They had replaced under warranty but I'm not sure what specifically broke. If you STFA, you will find a lot of posts about not getting into gear.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Try the adjustment first. It sounds like my problem before I replaced my tranny with the hard euro-

spec.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Possibly right, Bent fingers on the pressure plate could do as described.

But the out of whack shifter could be just an adjustment, or bent shift forks and a number of other things :/
Old 10-29-2004, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try all the other suggestions first, but my diaphragm spring in my clutch (stock) failed suddenly

one day. Went to a restaurant, no problems. Go to leave and couldn't get car in any gear with engine running. Needed new clutch assembly - disc was fine but spring and PP was messed up. I hope this is not the case, but if nothing else seems to work this may be the case. Dealer could not tell me why it happened - they said it just failed, not due to abuse or anything I would have done - just a bad diaphragm spring and it fatigued.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey whats up?

Any chance you are selling those RS4 IC's? Let me know if you got them on not so I know to look elsewhere.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And maybe spend more time in school, learning english.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well I know enough to know you can't start a sentence with AND.

Quick Reply: well just blew up my mother f'n tranny details inside suggestions needed HELP I AM CURSED