S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

WG line is torn or something, passenger side, ideas on how to get to the small vacuum line??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WG line is torn or something, passenger side, ideas on how to get to the small vacuum line??

It appears to be torn down near the passenger side turbo. I put air into the hose that leads to the MG and hear it coming out badly, actually I can feel the air if I crank the PSI up enough. I currently have the air box, y pipe, MAF , Accordian Hose all out and still can't get to the culprit. Someone suggested removing the wheel liners but the Airbox did the same thing. I am almost positive it is the small vacuum piece that connect the 2 metal/aluminum WG lines. How in the world can I get in there to fix this??? Thanks guys, as always!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Replaced mine, and it was the single most frustrating thing I've ever done...

I put the car up on the lift, down on the ground, and up, and down, used 16" needle nose pliars--straight and 90 degree, mirror, etc. Raised the motor with a jack, while car was in the air to get a little more working room. I am sure that there is a much easier way--hopefully someone tells you...
Old 03-23-2008, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Jenga, that really sucks!!!! Did you access the lines from the bottom?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:22 PM

Default Try putting the rad support in service position. Pull the alternator and the starter....

that should give you some room from underneath.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I did remove the alternator, and by jacking the motor, was able to use the 16" needlenose pliars...

to get the new line onto the wastegate. But, it is very easy to damage the new hose with the pliars, so be careful. Under the lower outside corner of the passenger head is a bracket that holds the metal portion of the WG line in place. That bracket holds 2 metal lines--I used a mirror to see what needed to be done, then used the touchy-feely profanity-espousing method to get it loose. Tricky for me was getting the new line properly routed through the maze--with the rigid metal line, it MUST be exactly where it originally was, in order to fit. My suggestion would be to secure a string (synthetic, strong) to the upper end of the old WG hose, remove the line from the bottom, and use that string as a guide for proper routing during reinstallation.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Guys it sounds like a royal PITA but I have to get it done~
Old 03-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default An alternative, someone suggested on AW, is to use generic vac hose, and reroute to a more installer

friendly path. To do again, I would definitely try this!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A generic VAC hose and bypass the metal hoses?
Old 03-23-2008, 07:08 PM

Default Yeah, and one other side note, try wrapping both halves of the pliers in duct tape so you dont'...

rip up the hose.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:19 PM

Mine is rerouted and it works just fine. Cost $150 instead of the $2000 the dealrship quoted

Quick Reply: WG line is torn or something, passenger side, ideas on how to get to the small vacuum line??