S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What do you all use for car covers (if any)?...

Old 09-27-1999, 05:39 PM
AvramD

Default What do you all use for car covers (if any)?...

I need a really good car cover. I do not have a garage, and sadly, my designated parking spaces are under a tree. So far it doesn't seem to be a bird infested tree, but it drops a lot of its own crap. My cars go from spotless to depressing in 4 days, and to embarassing in about a week.

I need something that will keep not only keep dust off, but keep water away as well. And of course it would be nice if it wasn't too bulky. Are there any other issues I should be aware of? What do people recommend? How much should I be expecting to spend?

I've seen covers that were basically just a car shaped piece of cloth. They certainly didn't keep rain out, and they barely kept dust & stuff off. Not sure what the purpose of those is, but they won't cut it.
Old 09-27-1999, 07:06 PM
Steve S.

Default Had a custom covercraft cover once.....never again.

I had bought a new wicked BLACK Mustang GT 5.0 back in 1987. I really wanted to take care of it. So I asked for and got a covercraft cover for it for my birthday. I think the cost was about $150 or so. After about two years I sold the car and the cover, and decided not to get a car cover for any daily driver car I have going forward...why?

1) Your car has to be freshly washed before putting on the cover (is this convenient for you? It wasn't for me). If you put on the cover when bits of dust and debris are on the car...these same items will be what scrapes into your paint when you put on and off the car cover. In addition, when the wind blows..the cover ripples slightly (at least mine did)...and this makes the dust and debris scrape the paint as well.

2) It can be stolen easily if left outside. Yes, you can use a lock...but then there is a ritual before and after every time you park the car for any extended length of time.

3) Does it really protect your car from the elements? (light dry snow - probably, heavy wet snow - maybe not, light rain - yes, heavy/windy rain - maybe not, sand storms (in Phoenix for example) - I do not recommend a car cover.

So, what it comes down to...IMHO...is that if you are gonna use a car for occasional use, and you want to keep it in pristine condition in the garage...then you get a nice car cover. People can brush up against it in the garage with no ill effects. Otherwise, I do not think it is recommended. I can understand the issue with bird crap though....man, that WOULD be a real drag.

I now feel similarly about car front end bra protectors.

(time to get off the podium....)

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 09-27-1999, 09:27 PM
Reed M.

Default BREATHABLE car covers

Avram:

Never get a car cover to keep water out. It will condense under it and ruin your paint! The main purpose for a car cover is to keep the damaging UV effects of the sun and tree sap off your car. Getting wet (rain or snow) will not hurt it. Most are bulky, unfortunately. I don't need one currently, so have no knowledge of the current market, but don't get a waterproof one.

Tip: If you live someplace really hot, cover your car (with a soft back breathable cloth cover) with the windows rolled down several inches. The entire car's interior will breathe and won't be anywhere near as hot. Your interior will also be more bearable. If it does rain, it won't come into the car. This is from personal experience in Texas summers.

Yes, dirt will cause scratches during installation and removal. You just have to keep it clean, like it or not. If necessary, hose the dirt off before you put the cover on. Fooling with a wet cover is a pain, unfortunately. Definitely get a manufacturer designed bag to store it in if at all possible.

Reed