AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/)
-   -   What happens when you let a redneck jumpstart your A4 by installing his Ford battery in your car... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/what-happens-when-you-let-redneck-jumpstart-your-a4-installing-his-ford-battery-your-car-1457779/)

mpwolf 07-09-2002 08:23 AM

What happens when you let a redneck jumpstart your A4 by installing his Ford battery in your car...

Basically, your car freaks out and you drive for thirteen miles like a moron with the CE, ABS and ESP light on while the alarm horn goes off and the lights flash. After a while the car stops calling attention to the fact that you are a dumbass and just puts these DTC's into the ECU:

2 DTCs Found:
16395 - Cam-Timing Adj. Bank 1: Advance Setpoint Not Reached
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
17072 - Main Relay (J271): Load Circuit Open
004 - No Signal/Communication

First off, this is from a friend's (who know's nothing about cars) '02 A4 1.8T. Aparently he left his lights on and the battery died. He was in the middle of nowhere and some guys in an old Ford F-150 stopped to help. They didn't have jumper cables, so they installed the battery from the Ford into my friends A4 and started the car. Then, with the car running, they removed the Ford battery and reinstalled the Audi battery (I didn't even konw you could do this). Anyway, this action precipitated the above events. Do you think there is any real damage as a result of this nexus of idiocy formed by my friend and these country folk?

TOUV 07-09-2002 08:26 AM

phase in to the dueling banjos song......

mpwolf 07-09-2002 08:28 AM

I'm surprised they didn't blow themselves up..."you've got a pretty mouth boy"

tjberb 07-09-2002 08:36 AM

nice

If I'm stranded in the "middle of nowhere" because I pulled a dumbass maneuver like leaving my lights on without jumper cables in the trunk, I'd appreciate a couple "rednecks" to bend over backwards to try and help me out.

Jeremy Clarkson 07-09-2002 08:41 AM

1 main reason why the south is better (if you can get past the red)

Our girls are SO much better looking!!! after spending near a week in chicago, it is SOO nice being home :-)

Aggie Pilot 07-09-2002 08:41 AM

Maybe I shouldn't admit to this, but...

I've done the same thing before. I did the same procedure using a Ford Ranger's battery in my old Honda Accord ('84?). It worked like a champ.
By the way, since the alternator is putting out more juice than the battery, there's no problem removing the battery while the car is running.

Fairfax 4.0T 07-09-2002 08:45 AM

Some voltage regulators will fry if the alternator turns without a battery.

However, in electronics, they generally fry immediately, so if the charging system now works, it is likely that no permanent damage was done.

LMDA1 07-09-2002 08:52 AM

Damn, that was extremely nice of the F150 guy. How many here would remove their battery to help

start a total stranger's car ? I guess there are still decent folks out there.

Jeremy Clarkson 07-09-2002 09:14 AM

yes, in the south

hey, your last name wouldnt happen to be Rodrigo would it?

LCP 07-09-2002 09:19 AM

I wouldn't, BUT I ALWAYS have jumper cables in my car (unless I am on the racetrack at the time)