S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What the hell is that sound? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the hell is that sound? (long)

For the last couple of weeks, I have been experiencing a sound I can only describe as something between a "click" and a "clunk" (does that make is a "cluck or a clink"?). I can't pinpoint the location of the sound, sometimes I think it is from the cabin, sometimes I think it is from the front right suspension, sometimes from the rear suspension (especially since I recently installed a sway-bar). I know it's not the "thunk" that most people associate with the differential, as that is a deep, muted sound. This is similar but sounds clearer and a bit more high-pitched. It's driving me nuts and I have bee cruising with the radio off for a week trying to pinpoint the source.

At first I thought it was associated with the clutch, as it seemed to occur whenever I put the clutch in. However, I have now noticed that I can just let off the throttle leaving the car in gear and the sound still occurs. I also thought it might occur only when I lift off the throttle in boost, but that is not the case either. It occurs mostly in 1st or 2nd gear, occasionally in 3rd and never in the other gears. It seems to need a bit of torque to make the sound, but I can be either accelerating or lifting off the throttle. However, when lifting off the throttle, it will only make the sound if I am moderately accelerating beforehand.

I then thought it might be the passenger's seat or something under the passenger's seat rolling around. But, I can't find anything.

I checked my newly installed sway bar, but I can find no signs of it hitting or rubbing anything, and the sound doesn't seem to be associated with suspension movement (going over speed bump or a bad patch of road).

I am loathe to take it to the dealer, as they were previously not able to hear my heat shield rattle nor my b-pillar rattles. They always claim that everything was "in-spec" despite having a broken mount on the heat shield that I pointed out to them the next time.

What the hell is that sound? If you figure this out for me, I'll be your best friend!
Old 12-05-2001, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmm......not sure what you're hearing. Might had to ride in your car.

I hear you about the dealer....just like me and my F-hose. Then they told me recently that the F-hose isn't that important. HA.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: i know exactly what you are talking about.. i had the same problem for months ..

until my last appointment where i was able to replicate the sound for the tech.. mine also used to sound like a suspension problem but it wasnt.. under hard accelaration.. especially from 1st to 2nd gear.. it used to make a "thuck" sound.. but i knew it wasnt from the drivetrain.. i think my tech told me that one of the screws on the mount.. was loose.. so he put a new screw in there and made sure everything was tight and secure.. after that.. no more of that annoying sound.. i seriously was considering to sell my car just because i couldnt fix it.. but now its all good... so go get your screws checked out, i hope that helps
Old 12-05-2001, 07:09 AM

Re: shocks make sounds when they go out...check for leaking fluid.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:44 AM

Default ROC, my Neuspeed sway bar made this sound many times in the past. It only occurred

at low speed though and on bumps... Nothing wrong, everything has been checked. Not the first car with the sway bar that has made this sound...