S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What are peoples opinions on "piggie" Downpipes as oppposed to Tuner Pipes as far as power goes.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are peoples opinions on "piggie" Downpipes as oppposed to Tuner Pipes as far as power goes.....

for the tip, not that it should make a difference in performance but perhaps availability???

Thanks
Old 09-04-2004, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Piggies are by far the best bang for the buck. Unless you are trying to eek the most power out of

your car or are planning on going to a full stage 3 then i would definatly go with piggies.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:31 PM

Default piggie pipes are the worst thing that can happen to your S4. ;-)

<now, wouldn't that make every AWer here happy if that's true? instead of another million things going bad> ... hehe..

nah, PIGGIE PIPES are great. I have them!
Old 09-04-2004, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Piggie pipes on full stage III here - still happy as a clam!
Old 09-04-2004, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As far as power for DP's goes, in general there has been very little (m)

independent specific testing to show the performance gains that I have seen. Unless you are comfortable basing your decision on people taking their cars out on the street and trying to evaluate the performance gains that way. Comparison tests between DP's? I have never read of a test being conducted that stood up to scrutiny.

So what do I think about stock DP's with the precats hollowed vs aftermarket DP's? I wonder about the area where the precat is. People seem to feel it is imperative to keep the exhaust flow smooth, but then praise the 'piggie' pipes which expand at the precat and then constrict. That doesn't seem like a shape that would be conducive to smooth exhaust flow. But I haven't done any testing what-so-ever, so this is all pure speculation.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Elder Member

Default Same with Verruckt.

I'm happy as a clam with mine on k03s and I'll be happy as a clam with them on k04/k16s I'm sure after riding in Verruckt's car.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've got the ASP's but all in all, Piggie pipes are the way to go.

There are people making over 500chp with them, what else need you know?
Old 09-04-2004, 09:01 PM

Default A wise man once said "for thou doing a tip piggie once, I shall never do it again...for under 500$..

Yes, piggie pipes are a great solution in a cost effective way for simple power.
No, they are not as productive and power effecient as say Autospeed DP's. They are not as free flowing etc..as many people have stated before.
However, it is like comparing a macintosh apple and a gala apple. They are in the same family, but are in different leagues.
If you are in a pinch for money, as I am, go with the piggie pipes. They are hard to do for the tip, but well worth it. I plan on doing them soon.
There once was a wise man on the board, he had a "simple" name to remember, however, he hasn't shown his face for sometime.
Anyways, get 'em done. I am doing them in the next few weeks or so. If you already haven't had them done, ill let you know how they feel.

If you have the money, Autospeed DP's have been one of the favorites and someone is selling them in the classifieds right now.
IMO, if you can get them done for a decent price a.k.a. under $450 or so, do it.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you're going to ask... I'd want to know what else those people have. (m)

Would they be doing better with aftermarket dp's? Maybe, maybe not. That type of correlation you mention seems like the one I heard a while back about the s-flo intake, it went something like, some of the fastest s4 quarter mile times were by guys with the s-flo, that was the proof that it performed as advertised - helping the car make more power.

I don't know what the difference is, if any, on performance, but I have yet to see any real data showing any conclusive results of how aftermarket dp's compare to stockers with the precats gutted. I think it's important to make clear there have been no conclusive tests - AFAIK.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd bet you get 90-95% with piggie pipes

I'll bet money just getting rid of the precats is the majority (90-95%) of the gains in flow and reduced backpressure. The higher flowing cats and smooth transitions of aftermarket units are probably the last 10%. THe labree split flow design has been around (proven) but is still only a few % better than other aftermarket, flow-wise. Hmm.. 1/5 of the money for 90% improvement. I still haven't decided how foolish I want to be.
dave

Quick Reply: What are peoples opinions on "piggie" Downpipes as oppposed to Tuner Pipes as far as power goes.....