S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

When it rains, it pours... nothing more than venting...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When it rains, it pours... nothing more than venting...

Got a nail in my drivers front tire. Used a can of fix-a-flat to get home. Bad vibration at 50-60mph, but fine above and beyond that.

Found the drivers side CV joint was bad. Replaced while swapping over to a used set of BBS's. Put them on and had vibration all the time. Lots of "hopping" over small bumps.

Took the BBS's off and put the stock wheels back on. No more fix-flat... still hopping over small bumps and vibration.

Alignment fine. Tires balanced.

Back on jack stands and found my drivers front Koni is blown. I guess that explains the hopping on bumps. Probably happened with the fix-a-flat vibrations.

Car back off jack stands. Pull car in to garage and check engine light comes on, Vag'ed and got a "16486 - MAF low input". Already replaced the maf 12 months ago, so was hoping it was simply a loose pipe/hose. Went to reseat the MAF and dropped one of the clips. Bounced around and was gone. Jacked the car back up and removed the underbelly tray. Still couldn't find the clip. Figured it fell in to the "cup" that surrounds the engine mount. Had to remove the I/C intake pipe to get my big mitts in there. Pulled the pipe out and almost a 1/4 cup of oil poured out of the pipe. Probably not the best sign. Found the clip. Put everything back together. Re-installed the MAF. Cleared code, code came back and MAF reading is now solid .4.

Sigh... Need a new Koni shock.. new MAF... who knows what else.

Done venting...

-Matt