S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Where does the battery ground connect to the chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where does the battery ground connect to the chassis?

I tried to follow the cable off the battery but it goes somewhere behind the ECU box. After that I loose it. I STFA and didn't come up with the specific location. TIA.

AC
Old 10-27-2006, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your following the wrong cable.. Try again, it's grounded to the front left of the battery
Old 10-27-2006, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Huh? I thought the ground cable was the thinner red cable bolted onto the driver side connector
Old 10-27-2006, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

"red" for automotive "ground"?? Red is 12v black is negative
Old 10-27-2006, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Dude, that didn't make any sense to me at all. Hahaha!

I am not a pro. All I am trying to do is check to see if the battery is grounded to the chassis securely.

I was told to check that as a possible cause for my dead spedometer problem.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maybe it isn't red, I can't remember. Regardless, it is bolted kind of off to the side, no?

There diver side terminal (neg, I think) has 2 wires coming off it. One thick, like the one on the opposite side, and 1 thinner one, which I thought was the ground wire. This thinner one is bolted on the side of where the think one connects to the terminal.

At any rate, I just wanna know where the ground cable, which ever one it is, connects to the chassis. Thanks for your patience.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black is usually used for ground or negative ( - ) cable. Find the negative terminal on the battery

and follow that one. I'm not driving my Audi today or I would go outside and look for you. Just be careful, as color is not a solid indicator of polarity. Look for the minus sign on the battery itself to be sure you have the negative terminal!
Old 10-27-2006, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that doesn't make sense, you might want to consider letting someone with experience look at it
Old 10-27-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Mine is black and it's grounded very close to the battery on a post.....

I want to say on the upper wheel well.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Okay it's just very basic... Will walk you thru it.

Pop hood (latch is under the dash on the left side of the drivers seating position (in a North American vehicle). By pulling this lil T handle

To Open hood, there is a latch that should have poped out from your audi symbol on the grill, pull that and raise hood.

Now there is a plastic piece covering the battery and other components (not the small rectangular piece over the battery but the entire plastic piece, called a cowl).

Pull the rubber "seal" away from the cowl towards the front of the car, place to the side.

Grab the cowl, lift slightly up and pull towards the front of the car, lay it to the side.

Now you have full view into the secondary firewall area and the battery.

Look at the top of the battery, it should have a + symbol (that's the positive lead) and - symbol (that's the ground or NEgative terminal). there is an 8 gauge (thickness of wire, larger then 10 gauge smaller then 4 gauge), trace it from the battery terminal (marked -, remember) and it should end up in front of the battery on the left side of the battery, it's screwed down with a 10mm nut..

If you didn't have a ground the car would not start, in fact nothing would be working. I do not believe that's your issue.

Hope that helps

Quick Reply: Where does the battery ground connect to the chassis?