S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Who has installed DTS in the open parking lot?? (no garage here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has installed DTS in the open parking lot?? (no garage here)

This, for me, totally sucks!!! Have to install it all at once and it depends on the weather, too. (hopefully doesn't rain while I'm installing)

And, worse, my car is lowered because of the H&R Ultras coilover.

Any tips on how to jack this foker high enough (and not fall on my face while under there)??

I am tool-less here living in student apt. Don't even hae hydraulic jacks. But, went to check today, saw some that has jack height of 17". Is that enougH? or I need 21"?? or more?

what do I use to hold that tranny in place during DTS installation??
Old 04-28-2002, 09:32 AM
Elder Member

Default I did mine in a parking lot...

Invest in a cheap hydraulic jack -- they're not expensive and you won't get the car high enough with the factory jack. Get two jack stands -- make sure they are shorter than the jack, otherwise you won't be able to get them under the car. Stupid, yes, but I had to buy new jack stands when I got the S4.

What I did was use the jack to get the car as high as it would go, and used the two jackstands to hold it -- The place that I had the jackstands was a pain in the *** though, someone posted yesterday pics with the stands just in front of the DTS mounting points. Thats definitely a better spot. I then used the hydraulic jack, off to the side at an angle to hold up the tranny.

Have a breaker bar with you, with an 18mm socket. The 13mm bolts were very easy to get off, both of the 18mm bolts on my car were on a lot tighter than I could get off. The first one I used the jack handle hammed onto the handle of the socket wratchet to loosen, but the end result was having to by a new one because it broke. The second bolt took more than that, I ended up having to use an 18mm box wrench with a jury-rigged two foot handle on it to get it loose.

Also, double check the hex bolts -- some are 8mm, some are 3/8 inch, make sure you've got the right tool for them.

Also, bolt the rubber bushing to your bar before trying to install it, then take them back apart to install, just to make sure they fit. Two of us have had them not fit from the ones sent out recently.

Other than that, its a piece of cake. 30 minutes is generous, with a breaker bar and the right hex took (and a bushing that fit), I would've done it in probably half that.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are gutsy (stupid) if you are under the car breaking bolts free w/ only OEM jack for support.

Don't do that. We don't want to hear of any S4 owner's heads being crushed by their cars.