S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Would somebody please explain "clear bra" in detail?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-1999, 04:21 AM
AvramD

Default Would somebody please explain "clear bra" in detail?

Is this some sort of spray-on coating? Or is it literally a bra made out of transparent material?

Is it unnoticeable, or does it look like "hey, not only is that car wearing a bra, but it's clear..."
Old 09-24-1999, 04:34 AM
Jim De Arras

Default Re: Would somebody please explain "clear bra" in detail?

Try this:<ul><li><a href="http://131.107.68.28/a4org/holdingfast_no16.pdf">Scotchcal flyer</a></li></ul>
Old 09-24-1999, 04:56 AM
AvramD

Default Ok, so what are people's experience with this?

Does the Scotchcal itself get dinged up after 5 years? What do you do then - is it possible to take the stuff *off* without damaging the paint beneath, and then apply a new "coat"?

Or is it so strong that it just never needs to be fixed or replaced?
Old 09-24-1999, 06:00 AM
Jim De Arras

Default Re: Ok, so what are people's experience with this?

3M claims it removes cleanly without damaging the paint below it. Yes, it will probably get dinged and scratched to the point you will want to do something about it, but it should last longer than the paint would on it's own. And when you do peel it off, the paint below it is still "new", you can decide then if you want to re-apply it, or let it age "naturally" from that point on.
Old 09-24-1999, 09:18 AM
Al Pollack

Default Hope this helps................................

Avram, There are several companies that have "kits" made up for different locations on the car. There's Invincashield, Stoneguard (sp?) and Armourfend. They all use the same 3M material. I've had some pieces (front bumper, mirrors, leading edge of hood) put on by the Armourfend company. They have a computerized cutting system so the pieces match up with the various parts of the body. They spray a solution to the body and the 3m material. Then it's just a matter of tweaking the film so there's no creases/bubbles. It sounds easy, but, it took 2 guys to do the bumper of my A4. They use mini squeeggees to work the film around. Yes, it can be removed at any time - i think that they just soak the film with solution and slowly pull it away. It looks almost invisible on flat surfaces, but, when you get to the curves, things get a little hairy. Again, it's not an easy thing to install. If you buy the film yourself, you're going to have to figure out how to get a pattern made up (for the body piece you want). You also have to be act right about applying wax in the area of the film, otherwise you'll have a line of wax residue near the edge of the film. It looks pretty good on my car. It is one way to keep the front end chip free. HTH

Al 99.5 1.8tqtsc
Old 09-24-1999, 09:23 AM
Nate Sammons

One question -- does the film get chps in it? I mean, if I get this put on my car, it will protect the paint from chipping, but is this stuff elastic enough to keep from chipping itself when a rock hits it? I wouldn't want have to replace this stuff every year to keep the front of the car from looking like it's been chipped when it really hasn't.

Also, it looks like everyone in colorado recomend "The Bra Man" at 303-310-2100. Don't know how much it'll cost, but as soon as I find out, I'll let you know. I've heard it's in the area of $500 to $700.

thanks,

-nate
Old 09-24-1999, 09:41 AM
Nate Sammons

Just got a callback from "The Bra Man" -- it'll be $424 installed. Not bad at all. He said that wouldcover the bumper, mirrors and part of the hood. He said they don't use patterns, they just cut custome ones for each car.

-nate