S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 Audi S6 - Audio System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Yes, I'm going to take out my single amp and put in a set of 4 amps.

My installer is taking care of the ordering. I'm sure he will just contact mobridge directly to find the local distributor and then order from them.
By chance, did you ever take any in cabin measurements with REW BEFORE you upgraded, with the original factory bose system?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kcbonedoc
By chance, did you ever take any in cabin measurements with REW BEFORE you upgraded, with the original factory bose system?
No. There was not any reason to do that since I never planned on using any of the original Bose speakers.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I appreciate you vocalizing all of your concerns and findings on the car. It really helped the design process. Having some pics helped as well. I'm in the midst of an upgrade to a 2013 S6 myself. I went with a little more cookie cutter approach albeit, a pretty exotic batch of cookies. I wanted to keep things largely drop in, if there is such a thing in a car/setup like this. I went with an Audison full digital setup. bitDMI, bitTen D, Voce 5 ch and 4 ch, active Mille 3 way with the new 7" midbass and JL 12W7. And some heavily attenuated prima rear speakers for when someone does ride in the back.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nevrdun
I appreciate you vocalizing all of your concerns and findings on the car. It really helped the design process. Having some pics helped as well. I'm in the midst of an upgrade to a 2013 S6 myself. I went with a little more cookie cutter approach albeit, a pretty exotic batch of cookies. I wanted to keep things largely drop in, if there is such a thing in a car/setup like this. I went with an Audison full digital setup. bitDMI, bitTen D, Voce 5 ch and 4 ch, active Mille 3 way with the new 7" midbass and JL 12W7. And some heavily attenuated prima rear speakers for when someone does ride in the back.
Great choices.

The BitDMI is built by MoBridge. It's just repackaged for Audison. That's definitely the way to go if anyone plans to do a full system upgrade in an Audi with MMI.

I thought it was hilarious how simple the MoBridge was to install. Just run power to it, and then unclip the MOST harness from the factory amplifier and clip it directly into the MoBridge. Perfect fit.

My new system is almost finished. I should be picking it up at the end of this month.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great choices.

The BitDMI is built by MoBridge. It's just repackaged for Audison. That's definitely the way to go if anyone plans to do a full system upgrade in an Audi with MMI.

I thought it was hilarious how simple the MoBridge was to install. Just run power to it, and then unclip the MOST harness from the factory amplifier and clip it directly into the MoBridge. Perfect fit.

My new system is almost finished. I should be picking it up at the end of this month.
I thought what was funnier is how I couldn't obtain the driver for the DMI from Audison to update and configure it.....until I downloaded the Mobridge software and it gave the option for installing the driver. Seems funny to me but on par for Audison. I've installed a lot of product and there is always some missing link with software related issues. I don't know if things get lost in translation or what. But that seems to be their weak link.

Here's a shot of the trimmed out trunk. Only visible modification to the car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nevrdun
I thought what was funnier is how I couldn't obtain the driver for the DMI from Audison to update and configure it.....until I downloaded the Mobridge software and it gave the option for installing the driver. Seems funny to me but on par for Audison. I've installed a lot of product and there is always some missing link with software related issues. I don't know if things get lost in translation or what. But that seems to be their weak link.

Here's a shot of the trimmed out trunk. Only visible modification to the car.
Really clean install!

I'm supposed to be picking my car up later this week. I'll post a new build log soon.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Bringing this back to life and thank you for posting such a detailed process. I learned a lot about what can be done and the options available to improve the system in our cars. I want to start my own project and have a couple of questions to begin with.
- What upgraded components drop into the tweeter (dash), mid and mid base on the front doors without much modifications? same for rear doors? Sizes? I don't want to overcomplicate the project.
- What is your opinion on using the stock speaker wires coming from the Bose amp? I will be replacing it with not sure yet which one but I'm set of putting it in the same area and again don't want to over-complicate the project.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cayo71
Bringing this back to life and thank you for posting such a detailed process. I learned a lot about what can be done and the options available to improve the system in our cars. I want to start my own project and have a couple of questions to begin with.
- What upgraded components drop into the tweeter (dash), mid and mid base on the front doors without much modifications? same for rear doors? Sizes? I don't want to overcomplicate the project.
- What is your opinion on using the stock speaker wires coming from the Bose amp? I will be replacing it with not sure yet which one but I'm set of putting it in the same area and again don't want to over-complicate the project.
Almost any tweeter will fit in the factory dash location. You might even be able to put a 3" midrange there.

The factory door locations are not useful without custom modification. The midbasses are installed in an enclosure, and the midrange is surface mounted to the door. You can't install an aftermarket midrange there without cutting a hole in the door metal.
For the midbass, you will need a baffle to seal up the hole in the door left by removing the Bose midbass enclosures.

I would never recommend using the OEM speaker wires because I prefer to leave the OEM equipment unchanged so I can return it to stock condition later. Besides, the factory speaker wire is not intended to run higher current like you would have with an aftermarket amp.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Almost any tweeter will fit in the factory dash location. You might even be able to put a 3" midrange there.

The factory door locations are not useful without custom modification. The midbasses are installed in an enclosure, and the midrange is surface mounted to the door. You can't install an aftermarket midrange there without cutting a hole in the door metal.
For the midbass, you will need a baffle to seal up the hole in the door left by removing the Bose midbass enclosures.

I would never recommend using the OEM speaker wires because I prefer to leave the OEM equipment unchanged so I can return it to stock condition later. Besides, the factory speaker wire is not intended to run higher current like you would have with an aftermarket amp.
Perfect Subter! Thanks for your input. Now how do you feed the speaker wires to the doors? Is there enough space for both the mid and midbass wires?

Last edited by cayo71; 04-21-2020 at 08:18 PM.