S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 S6 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S6 Brakes

Since taking delivery on this car, I have had to take it in 3times for squeaky brake issues. The first time, they told me they just needed to clean the brakes, however I didn't get home before the squealing started again. Brought it back and they kept the car for two weeks, and then replaced everything. While it was under warranty, the service rep showed me what the bill would have been ( ~$1200). Fast forward 6months, and the squealing is back. Took the car back, and the service rep, said "this is to be expected in this type of car". When I challenged him that I doubt Audi would put out a car ( let alone a $85k car) that loudly squeals when you brake... he just said... "yup they do, it just something owning a car like this you have to deal with"... Then later, I get a call, and they tell me there had been some debris in the brakes that needed to be cleaned.

So I guess my question is... is this normal. Car only has about 11k miles, and I don't beat on it, and keep to your ave maintained streets/express ways.

Is audi known to have brake issues, or am I an isolated instance.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gpj111
Since taking delivery on this car, I have had to take it in 3times for squeaky brake issues. The first time, they told me they just needed to clean the brakes, however I didn't get home before the squealing started again. Brought it back and they kept the car for two weeks, and then replaced everything. While it was under warranty, the service rep showed me what the bill would have been ( ~$1200). Fast forward 6months, and the squealing is back. Took the car back, and the service rep, said "this is to be expected in this type of car". When I challenged him that I doubt Audi would put out a car ( let alone a $85k car) that loudly squeals when you brake... he just said... "yup they do, it just something owning a car like this you have to deal with"... Then later, I get a call, and they tell me there had been some debris in the brakes that needed to be cleaned.

So I guess my question is... is this normal. Car only has about 11k miles, and I don't beat on it, and keep to your ave maintained streets/express ways.

Is audi known to have brake issues, or am I an isolated instance.
Not just you...see my post from six weeks ago or so. My S6 squeals like a stuck pig; when I took it in for my 25k it happened to be wet/raining that day which masks the squealing, so got it back with a "brakes operating as designed" note from the tech. Had the same thing on my S4; they replaced the front rotors/pads and machined the rear pads.

Long story short, I may try bringing it in one more time on a day that's cold but with no moisture. Otherwise, I'm just going to try some aftermarket pads.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get occasional brake squealing in the cold. I have 12K mi on my 2013 S6. If it persists, I'll bring it to service, but really ins't bad yet.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can't say if it is a known issue, but it is not "normal" or to be expected. I have just over 11k on my 2013 and have never had a squeak or any brake issue. I have not had brake squeaks on my last 4 Audi's either...
Old 01-26-2015, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW, the first winter I drove it, I had no squealing. Only had 3-4k on it thern. Now at 25k, it's constant. I *suspect* you guys w/ 10-15k may see this issue next winter (unfortunately).
Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you look outside Audi, at Bremebo brakes specifically you'll see that it is pretty common. It doesn't mean there are problems with brakes. I don't know the physics of the bremvbo or opposing piston brakes squeaks but every car I've ever owned with brembo styled brakes (stop tech and ap racing) both have squeaks and drone at some point.

I have had good luck with changing pads to lessen the squeal on previous cars. But Google squeaky brakes and brembo.. Very common.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

On my S4, brand new, the brakes made a lot of noise in cold weather. My A6 was better, but I can tell that it's going to be an issue again on the S6. I'm fairly positive this is a brake pad compound issue. After switching to ceramic pads on my S4, the noise was gone.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've scheduled and then cancelled two appointments w/ the dealer to have them look at this again; if it ever stops snowing here in New England I will take it in and report back what they tell me.

My brakes are to the point that when I pull up at the drive-through to get my Southwest Salad from MickeyD's and the window is down, it hurts my ears it's so loud.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Makes me want to complain to the dealer sooner than later about my occasional squeaky braking when coming to a stop at the light.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 42k on my 2013 S6. I changed the pads and rotors (OEM rotors but Disc Italia Ceramic pads)at 35K and my brakes have been silent ever since. Prior to the change, they squealed all of the time. Total embarrassment in a high performance luxury sedan.

Quick Reply: 2013 S6 Brakes