S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 S6 TSB 19J1 & 68E3 - Detailed info

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance
Thanks! although not the answer i was hoping for. The only time my transmission treated me roughly was on the 3-2 downshift in sport. The remainder of the time it was just a little too much like an auto tranny. I think this S4 ruined my faith in the S6 transmission... Still a good unit, but now i know what a really good unit shifts like.
This is giving me second thoughts....Do I keep my S4 or go for the S6??? I guess I'll have to wait until after my test drive to decide.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carnuts3
This is giving me second thoughts....Do I keep my S4 or go for the S6??? I guess I'll have to wait until after my test drive to decide.
i would not fret too much. The S6 is still amazing and it really is a nice car to drive. I had a S4 prior to the S6 and I'd have to say letting go of the manual transmission was the hardest part. Everything else is an upgrade over the S4. (rightly so i guess for the price difference)

My car was delivered to me about 2 hours ago. I have to thank my dealer as they have gone above and beyond for me. They make me feel like they actually care about me, not like they are buttering me up for all 5's on the survey. They picked up my car and dropped off a loaner sunday night, performed all TSB's and checked car from stem to stern for any other issues (steering notch, stereo pop, rear blind..etc.) then delivered it back tonight. Mind you I am over an hour away from the dealership... They have pretty much won my business forever as no other dealer has ever gone out of their way like this for me.

anyhoo... With the car back, S-mode is much better. Short shifting seems to have been banished a bit, it is holding gears longer than before. The car is also selecting gears much more rapidly, both up or down. The shifts actually seem firmer, but not jerky. There is still a bit of the 3-2 bump, but less than before. My service advisor went into some pretty good detail about what they did to my car, he even provided the diagnostic printout for my perusal, all 22pages of it.

D is pretty much the same, it shifts a little quicker, but it may just be placebo effect.

In comparison back to back with the S4 i still feel like that car was more direct with throttle input. Scrutinizing the S6 it seems that initial softness in acceleration is just the turbos spooling. once they get up to huffing the connection feels very much like the S4. I am rethinking my initial "clutch slippage" as mis diagnosed turbo lag. The 4.0 is a very different motor from the 3.0... that supercharger is instantaneous, but it poops out sooner than the 4.0... which just takes a brief moment to catch its breath and whoosh! effortless power all the way up the tach. The difference from S6 to S4 was night and day, the transition from S4 to S6 was not a big deal... i was worried i would be forever longing the S4's responsive transmission... So far not the case.

obviously i need to investigate further and take her out on some back roads this weekend. I hope the above is not just in my head.

Mike
Old 08-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i would not fret too much. The S6 is still amazing and it really is a nice car to drive. I had a S4 prior to the S6 and I'd have to say letting go of the manual transmission was the hardest part. Everything else is an upgrade over the S4. (rightly so i guess for the price difference)

My car was delivered to me about 2 hours ago. I have to thank my dealer as they have gone above and beyond for me. They make me feel like they actually care about me, not like they are buttering me up for all 5's on the survey. They picked up my car and dropped off a loaner sunday night, performed all TSB's and checked car from stem to stern for any other issues (steering notch, stereo pop, rear blind..etc.) then delivered it back tonight. Mind you I am over an hour away from the dealership... They have pretty much won my business forever as no other dealer has ever gone out of their way like this for me.

anyhoo... With the car back, S-mode is much better. Short shifting seems to have been banished a bit, it is holding gears longer than before. The car is also selecting gears much more rapidly, both up or down. The shifts actually seem firmer, but not jerky. There is still a bit of the 3-2 bump, but less than before. My service advisor went into some pretty good detail about what they did to my car, he even provided the diagnostic printout for my perusal, all 22pages of it.

D is pretty much the same, it shifts a little quicker, but it may just be placebo effect.

In comparison back to back with the S4 i still feel like that car was more direct with throttle input. Scrutinizing the S6 it seems that initial softness in acceleration is just the turbos spooling. once they get up to huffing the connection feels very much like the S4. I am rethinking my initial "clutch slippage" as mis diagnosed turbo lag. The 4.0 is a very different motor from the 3.0... that supercharger is instantaneous, but it poops out sooner than the 4.0... which just takes a brief moment to catch its breath and whoosh! effortless power all the way up the tach. The difference from S6 to S4 was night and day, the transition from S4 to S6 was not a big deal... i was worried i would be forever longing the S4's responsive transmission... So far not the case.

obviously i need to investigate further and take her out on some back roads this weekend. I hope the above is not just in my head.

Mike
Thanks much for your feedback and good luck with the car.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got the update yesterday at my 5K mile service. Its head and shoulders better than before.
Get it and don't look back. The car is every bit as fast but much smoother off the line.

It has solved one of its only faults.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Going in tomorrow for all TSBs and the stering wheel groan. Will update.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ellisinA4
Going in tomorrow for all TSBs and the stering wheel groan. Will update.
Fixed my harsh downshifts in Sports mode.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Fixed my harsh downshifts in Sports mode.
I just had my software updated as well. Drove home from the dealer. I think the higher gear downshifts may be a bit smoother. However, when coming to a stop I didn't notice any improvement in the 3 to 2 shift. That's the really harsh one for me. Maybe it'll improve with time. I'm only at 4000 km.

Any idea what other improvements this software was to address?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMK_RS4
I just had my software updated as well. Drove home from the dealer. I think the higher gear downshifts may be a bit smoother. However, when coming to a stop I didn't notice any improvement in the 3 to 2 shift. That's the really harsh one for me. Maybe it'll improve with time. I'm only at 4000 km.

Any idea what other improvements this software was to address?
ECU and TCM software updated on my car.

So far I have noticed this:

1. 3-2 shifts have less impact... still very noticeable. (smooth in manual and D, so not sure why S has to be so abrupt with this one gear change)
2. From a stop there is no more delay in D and S
3. Gears hold and do not give the "clutch Slip" feeling or slurring between gears.
4. No more 3.2K revs power dip in 3rd gear (just noticed this last night)
5. D and S both shift firmer as in they are more positive and less vague. Still butter smooth though.
6. Probably a placebo effect but my boost seems to come on much sooner now than before and it holds the boost longer. (only going by lap timer in dash, so this could just be in my head)

They also topped up my fluids and washed it.. .but I consider that a beneficial side effect.

Mike
Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They also topped up my fluids and washed it.. .but I consider that a beneficial side effect.

Mike
Darn, did not realized these were beneficial effects of the TSBs.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

So far I have noticed this:

1. 3-2 shifts have less impact... still very noticeable. (smooth in manual and D, so not sure why S has to be so abrupt with this one gear change)
2. From a stop there is no more delay in D and S
3. Gears hold and do not give the "clutch Slip" feeling or slurring between gears.
4. No more 3.2K revs power dip in 3rd gear (just noticed this last night)
5. D and S both shift firmer as in they are more positive and less vague. Still butter smooth though.
6. Probably a placebo effect but my boost seems to come on much sooner now than before and it holds the boost longer. (only going by lap timer in dash, so this could just be in my head)

Mike
Had mine updated today as well. Took a lot longer than expected but results listed above are what I saw too. I tried to get them to lower my car but they said they had to get codes from Audi and it would flag my car. Might have to go the H&R module route when my spacers get in.

Quick Reply: 2013 S6 TSB 19J1 & 68E3 - Detailed info