S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 S6 TSB 19J1 & 68E3 - Detailed info

Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teelo
I'm having this thought, it may be possible that because we "baby" the car during the break-in period that the tranny has adapted to this thus when the break-in period is over we drive the car hard and we have the harsh downshifts/ irregularities ? I know that BMW's can have there tranny reset via a few simple steps DIY. Can Audi's tranny reset be done DIY or must it be done at factory ?
The transmission doesn't "learn" your driving style in the way you are imagining it. Programmed into the ECU for the tranny are a few different algorithms based on how you drive the car. The car selects the one that best fits your driving style, and will revert to that algorithm the next time you start the car. But if you startdriving more agressively, the ECU simply switches algorithms, and then THAT becomes the "default" algorithm.

The way you've phrased it reminds me of folks that argue that you need to drive your car "hard" during break-in (the so-called "Mototune method") because you only get one shot to establish the engine's "character" for the life of the engine. This may or may not be true, but the transmission adaptation is nothing like that. You're not making any "permanent" changes to the car's transmission by driving it one way or the other.

All the TSB mentioned does is tweak the parameters of some of those algorithms (and reset to the default algorithm). It may take a few days for the car to decide which of the new tweaked algorithms best suits your driving style
Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RobC
I would argue that this is not a software change. It's just a reset of the adaptation values for the reference height. In a different thread, someone already went into a long dissertation that these are simply values stored in a location that has "variable" data. It's not a change to the code.
That was me. Unfortunately, my logic was shouted down so many people are still under the mistaken impression that simple VCDS mods (or alternately, the same mods done with the dealer's diagnostic software) will cause a TD1 flag.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
That was me. Unfortunately, my logic was shouted down so many people are still under the mistaken impression that simple VCDS mods (or alternately, the same mods done with the dealer's diagnostic software) will cause a TD1 flag.
Feel like a puppy who got hit on the nose with a newspaper huh?

It's not mistaken, it "can" cause it even with the dealers tools, and its not really an issue anyway if it does get flagged.

Moving on...

I got the updates done to my car yesterday and I decided to have both the ECU update and Steering update done.I

Even though my second S6 transmission felt better than the first one I had, this update really removes 90% of the hesitancy felt previously. Everything feels great and I can see the gears changing a lot earlier than before as opposed to hanging on to one longer than it should.

For the steering, I definitely noticed a difference again. I feel that the lower speed is possibly a bit more resistant(opposite of what some people say as overassisted). I also notice that turn-in is a lot quicker. To the point where I was moving the steering wheel to where I normally would have put it to go around a curve and now on the same curve at the same steering wheel angle Im aiming for the curve. I have to get used to the new steering angles. Unfortunately, this presented itself to be a negative thing in the wet yesterday as I kept thinking I was understeering and sliding(even though I wasnt).

YMMV of course.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Feel like a puppy who got hit on the nose with a newspaper huh?
I'd say more like Galileo.