S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2014 S6 Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 S6 Battery Replacement

I searched but didn't find much. I just had the 45k service done and dealer said my battery is on it's way out. They quoted me $350 for new battery, install and programming which is insane.
I plan to buy a battery at Autozone or equivalent, install it myself and follow some of the directions I've seen to change the last number in the serial number via VCDS.

Anyone else had to do this?

What's the OEM specs on the battery and which battery do you recommend?
Old 05-15-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was never able to find an aftermarket battery that was programmable via VCDS. Ultimately I bought one from the local dealer parts counter and installed it myself. Total cost was about a third of the quoted installed price. Make sure you program it afterwards though, or the new battery won't last long.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long is not long. I can buy 2 batteries and have both go bad and still be way less than $350... $129 a battery.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Autozone has several possibilities. This is a pretty good one for $190: https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...9_607196_25697
"Duralast Platinum Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Battery
Part Number: H8-AGM
Weight: 60.76lbs
*** 900 Cold cranking amps (1000 Cranking amps)***. 160 reserve minutes."
Odd this one has a 5 year warranty for $160: https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...2_610161_25698

One just needs to use VCDS (VAGCOM) to change the last digit of battery serial number, so the electronis knows it is a new battery.

The current BEM code in VCDS under 19-CAN Gateway _> Long Adaptation -> Channel 4 -> Battery identification).
- (N) Part number - (11 digits)
- (V) Vendor code - (3 digits)
- (S) Serial number (10 digits, just change the last digit for the new battery)

View the state of the battery in VCDS under 19-CAN gateway > Measuring Blocks > Groups 18, 19 and 20

I did this on my B8 S4

Last edited by m444; 05-15-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

By the way here are the Ross-tech instructions to replace the battery: Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki
Old 05-15-2018, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Heath Murphy
How long is not long. I can buy 2 batteries and have both go bad and still be way less than $350... $129 a battery.
Couldn't tell you, since I've never run that experiment. Anecdotal evidence is that it won't charge properly and the lifespan is reduced. Dunno. My OEM battery ran less than $200 (in our third-world Canadian currency, so U.S. pricing is probably way cheaper) and it was less than a 50% premium over an 'equivalent' battery from Canadian Tire. Worth it for me for the plug 'n' play and peace of mind.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the car even know it's a new battery? Is it just the total loss of current from disconnecting the old one? Couldn't you just hook up a battery charger to the terminal leads before you disconnect the old one and connect the new one?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You have to remember that modern cars use intelligent charging systems - the days of a standard alternator and regulator are long gone. Why have they changed something that wasn't broke, you might ask? Because they can eke out a mpg or so by only charging when absolutely required, which requires an algorithm that takes the battery size/type/chemistry into account, plus altering said algorithm as the battery ages. When you install a new battery, even if the size/type/chemistry is identical, the system will assume it's still an older, worn-out one and charge according to the old criteria. Thus, the new battery is not fully charged and/or overcharged and the lifespan is reduced.

Be thankful that Audi doesn't go to the extremes that BMW does. BMWs only charge when your foot is completely off the throttle, leading to some strange situations like when an M3 ran out of electrons at the track (so much so that the driver couldn't even pop the trunk in order to retrieve his tow hook). Full or partial throttle all the time (like when driving hard) means no charge for you. The situation is so bad that BMW has instructed dealers to quietly change out batteries on some models every year while undergoing any service (while the car is under warranty). Of course, once warranty is up, owners are left to scratch their heads and fend for themselves. So, at least for BMWs, a poor charging scheme kills the battery in about a year.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this car might be too smart for me. I was having starting issues when I left my car parked for nine days at a time over this last winter and was thinking of replacing the battery - it's still the original one. So if I want to do this myself I need a VAG-COM as well as a new battery?

By the way, Deerhunter, where'd you find that deal on your new battery? I'm in the "third-world Canadian currency" boat myself.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Always put the car on a battery maintainer when you don't plan on driving it for awhile (my dealer installs one on every car they deliver).

I got a sweetheart deal from my dealer parts guy (I've known him for many years, plus I always go out of my way to say hi whenever I'm there). Even going in cold, you should be able to negotiate 10-20% off the list price.

Quick Reply: 2014 S6 Battery Replacement